Super Record Pedal Cages - Removal??

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

The black cage is attached to the body of the pedal with what looks like 4 rivets.

Is it possible to remove the cage then reattach?

I was wondering if anyone had tried/done this?

I have two sets of pedals that I want to switch the cages over to create one nice set and one rough set ...

There are some photos here to give you a view.

http://www.sterba-bike.cz/produkt/super ... ls?lang=EN

Ralph_the_Rohan":1u92lash said:
Anything is possible....not sure it's something I'd want to try though!

Hmmm ... I was hoping someone would have tried this previously or at least known that the riveting process was like and what the situation is with prizing them apart ...

I wished they had used bolts.

They are machine riveted, I would think almost impossible to take apart and rerivet

Anyone have a "scrap" pedal they wish to donate to the cause of investigation and experimentation?

I ran into this very situation a bit ago when I acquired a set of the titanium spindle SsR that had bad road rash. I asked around about a solution, eventually I gave up and sold the pedals.

I have several pairs of these pedals, I'll not go into a whole bunch of detail but basically you should grind off the rivet heads carefully, and then drill and tap holes in the pedal shell/body (for screws): therefore fixing the cages with screws as opposed to rivets.

Seems an awful lot of bother if this is something you cannot do yourself - why not just buy a decent set of pedals, keep the better of the two (you already have) for second best and flog the other pair!

Just trying to help.

Rk.

Fixing is all part of he fun.

I believe the rivets are spun rivets ie where part of the body of the pedal.

It is looking like a tricky job to make the finished article look good.

Montello":1rf0qabx said:

So, what you are sayin is that the"rivets"are in fact a pin which is part of the body casting, and this pin is then peened over when the cage is put in place?

If this is the case then my suggestion works in the same way: e.g grind off the"rivet"head, then drill and tap a hole etc, I fail to see how a neat job could not be achieved.

Roadking.

roadking":24ain6if said:
Montello":24ain6if said:

So, what you are sayin is that the"rivets"are in fact a pin which is part of the body casting, and this pin is then peened over when the cage is put in place?

If this is the case then my suggestion works in the same way: e.g grind off the"rivet"head, then drill and tap a hole etc, I fail to see how a neat job could not be achieved.

Roadking.

Yes, I believe that description is correct. The solution above us practical but I don't want visible screw heads. I am thinking your solution then file off the screw heads so it looks the same.

Latest posts

Back