Front Mech Prob

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I was out yesterday (don't be too surprised) on my new bike - so this is not a retro problem. When changing down the chain gets stuck on the top of the small chainring. I had this problem before and i thought the chain was falling between the rings but yesterday i stopped and had a good look at it. The chain is actually nicely positioned with the rollers on top of the small chainring teeth. I have not seen this before and i did not get any pics.

Any ideas to resolve this? The cranks are compact FSA, mechs are Tiagra and everything is almost new (100 miles or less).

Thanks all, have a good week,

Richard

Hi Richard, I had a similar problem (albeit on my not new Raleigh 531) when I fitted a new chain. I wonder whether the chain needs a few miles to bed in and make sure there is plenty of lubricant. When shifting from big ring to small the chain would sit on top of the small ring and skate along until I stopped pedalling where upon it would then sit down where it should.

Keep oiling and shifting and I suspect it will go away on its own.

Martin

Martin,

I actually did that last night and rode around changing up and down - it happens maybe one time in five but - as with these things - that is the time you need to be pedalling!!! Mine will not drop down when i stop pedalling i need to go back into high and drop to low again - and, honestly, that gets dangerous as by that time i am almost stopped.

Thanks,

Richard

OOOOhhhhhhhh - a chain problem - that would sorta agree with Penfold. I had wondered if it was the way the rings were set up and the chain was dropping to the wrong bit of the small ring.

Would a lot of oil help? I lubricated with the precision oil and i did consider 3 in 1. I might check and see if i have a spare chain.

Thanks again Ian,

Richard

On my Wilier, Richard, it was a nightmare as when I came off the big-ring and when the chain
was on the inner-ring, it would be at a slight angle touching the inner part of the big-ring and
my cranks would spin crazily over the teeth and would not drop onto the rings teeth.

Before ditching the chain you might try backing off the small ring set screw on the FD so when you shift from big ring to small ring it gives the chain slightly more of a shove on the down shift. Worth a try, it's free after all!

M

Back