Park Tool Cutters

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I had to use my Park tool cable cutters on Friday and i am v disappointed at the results. The cable outer crushed approx 5 out of 6 times. When i realised they were not much good i cut the outer longer and gradually reduced the length until i got a cut which was not crushed.

My question is - was i doing something wrong? I tried gentle pressure, quick snip and turning the outer to the place of least resistance - made no difference. The tool has been used approximately 8 times so there should be no issue with wear.

Any advice appreciated.

This is a similar experience which a guy i know has with an electric planer, he was taking a bit off a door and the planer took too much off so he gradually reduced the door to a 'half door' with the planer!!! Unfortunately once cable outer gets too short it is useless!!

Thanks all,

Richard

I can only think yours are in someway a little Basil as I have had a pair for years that still work perfectly. It matters not if I am cutting a cable to length or just tidying up a frayed end, they snip with a clean edge every time. Cables or gear and brake outers cut perfectly.

I have offered them some abuse as well having to cut spokes and even the stays on some mudguards this year.

They still work perfectly. This doesn't help does it?

TGR":31jggh80 said:
Morning all,

I had to use my Park tool cable cutters on Friday and i am v disappointed at the results. The cable outer crushed approx 5 out of 6 times. When i realised they were not much good i cut the outer longer and gradually reduced the length until i got a cut which was not crushed.

My question is - was i doing something wrong? I tried gentle pressure, quick snip and turning the outer to the place of least resistance - made no difference. The tool has been used approximately 8 times so there should be no issue with wear.

Any advice appreciated.

This is a similar experience which a guy i know has with an electric planer, he was taking a bit off a door and the planer took too much off so he gradually reduced the door to a 'half door' with the planer!!! Unfortunately once cable outer gets too short it is useless!!

Thanks all,

Richard

Are the cutters new?
Is there any play between the blades?
Have they been used to cut spokes and other things?

At work, I use them and trust me they last several years before I replace them, more for a whim then real need, still doing a neat cut.
And we're talking of a million of cuts in gear/brake wires and outers.

Keep the wire or the outer 90º, and the pressure with the hand has to be a quick thing

Thanks for the advice? They are effectively brand new - only used for cables on one bike prior to Friday and only on cables - nothing else. I might have another go using the remaining outers to see if i am doing something wrong but they were fine the last time i used them but not this time. The cable outer was Shimano SLR (i think) - would that be harder to cut than other outers?

Mark, i am waiting for your 'riding with tubs' update!!!!

Thanks all,

Richard

Depends on which bit of the metal cable the blades hit through the plastic outer covering......sometimes the blades slip through and you get a clean cut, if the cutting blade is a bit thicker then a part of the metal inner gets bent over before it is cut. All you do is snip the bent bit off and if you have 30 seconds extra just run a small round file into the hole.

Is that what you mean ?

Shaun

Shaun,

That is what i mean. I used a bradawl to enlarge the hole and make it round - but i could have used ordinary pliers and done this with out the expense of the Park tool.

Richard

You could always split the plastic outer where you want to cut and bend the cable over so the blades slip between...... Pliers are usually pretty hopeless at braided inner wires though :(

Shaun

Midlife":vepbparh said:
Depends on which bit of the metal cable the blades hit through the plastic outer covering......sometimes the blades slip through and you get a clean cut, if the cutting blade is a bit thicker then a part of the metal inner gets bent over before it is cut. All you do is snip the bent bit off and if you have 30 seconds extra just run a small round file into the hole.

Is that what you mean ?

Shaun

No need to do that, just cut in between the two spires (if is brake outer), if is gear outer is even easier.
Don't keep a wire inside, it just makes the cut a lot harder to do. Those cutters are very good, just practice!

My point is that they did work previously and worked well, they have not been damaged since they were last used but this time they were not good. Could it be the outer? This was stronger Shimano outer than i have used previously?

richard

Latest posts

Back