Vittoria Pit Stop Report.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I have seen one or two threads wondering about this stuff so, having had call to use it recently I can now report on it.

For those who haven't seen it, it is a tyre sealant aimed more at tubular tyres. It is much lighter than the usual liquid sealant as it takes the form of foam once it is out of the tin. It fits very easily into your pocket although I wouldn't fancy landing on it in a crash!

So at the weekend I'm ten miles into a ride when I got that feeling you get when you know there is no air left in the rear tyre. To be fair I it is a feeling I haven't had since trying tubulars. Despite the shocking condition of the roads around here, I haven't suffered an impact puncture despite taking a couple of hits that I know would have seen off a clincher.

Once stopped with the wheel out I found the sort of flint that a master Neolithic knapper would have been impressed with stuck in the treads of the tyre.

Making sure all the remaining air was out and that the valve was free, I pressed the valve into the open end of the bottle and pushed firmly.

The tyre inflated and dribble of foam emerged from the hole vacated by the flint and then it sealed. The tyre continued to inflate right up to the time the top 'exploded' in my hand. Think of a very violent wet fart and you won't be far away. A large quantity of gick ended up on me but, despite that, the tyre was up.

You are supposed to then top up with a pump. I didn't have one so gingerly remounted and headed back home. The tyre stayed inflated at around I reckon 50/55 psi and saw me home no worries. This morning I inflated the tyre up to around 110psi and it is still fine this evening.

I will let you know if the next ride sees it off or not.

Attachments

• PitStop#2.jpg
    PitStop#2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 474
  • PitStop.jpg
    PitStop.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 474
Excellent - good running report that - been tempted to get some of this after destroying a 650c Vittoria Corsa Seta :evil: just before xmas after what I can only assume was a crater left by a meteor - press at the time suggested it was in Russia but I think some must have landed in Nottingham given the size of the damn hole in the road.

I tried some of that Tufo sealant - useless, left a white rubbery mess on the rim and held zero air - thankfully I was less than a mile from home. Some Vittoria Pit Stop is on the shopping list.

Cheers for posting that :)

Isn't Tufo only good for their own tyres? They're completely sealed all round and unrepairable.

You could well be right there Ned, it was an 'only option' purchase as that's all they had at the shop & I needed it that day. It was my first ride on tubs, a very inauspicious start! I've got a Tufo clincher tubular that for the love of god will not stretch onto a rim - potentially decent idea, complete sealed tyre with a beaded bed for clincher rims but not a prayer of it being used - it's standard diameter is inches smaller than the rim - not impressed!

hence, liking iwasgoodonce's thread, as this will give me the confidence to go further afield on tubs :)

FINNEY1973":2d5kkhxl said:
Excellent - good running report that - been tempted to get some of this after destroying a 650c Vittoria Corsa Seta :evil: just before xmas after what I can only assume was a crater left by a meteor - press at the time suggested it was in Russia but I think some must have landed in Nottingham given the size of the damn hole in the road.

I tried some of that Tufo sealant - useless, left a white rubbery mess on the rim and held zero air - thankfully I was less than a mile from home. Some Vittoria Pit Stop is on the shopping list.

Cheers for posting that :)

why would you use a silk tub in december?

Bike had been at the LBS for 3 weeks - 3 mile ride and one hell of a blowout! Not my normal winter bike, I ain't that daft!

Thanks for the report, it's good to know it works. I carry a Vittoria one and a Zefal version in case of a double puncture! Plus a pump to top up the air if the worst does happen.

I've never had an impact puncture with tubs, I would guess they don't happen because the inner tube doesn't get pinched in the same way as with clinchers. One thing I was worried about was the valve getting gunked up by the foam but it sounds as if that wasn't a problem for you.

Mark.

Have you a 'riding with tubs' further update? I await this, with interest.

Richard

Latest posts

Back