Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:33 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:29 pm 
Retro Guru

May have access to gold weinmann calipers and safety brake levers if you are interested. A bit shonky but veryyyyyy bling :)

Karl

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:33 pm 

I rescued the bike from the garden of a house I was working in, once I gave it a clean and a bit of lubrication it just needed 2 tyres and inner tubes. I replaced them yesterday and took the it for a short 4 mile shakedown ride.
Enjoyed my first go on a road bike since the late 80's but think I either need some padded shorts or a new saddle

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm 
Retro Guru

grumpycommuter wrote:
May have access to gold weinmann calipers and safety brake levers if you are interested. A bit shonky but veryyyyyy bling :)

Karl

Hi Karl - could well be interested in the calipers - would need to be sharp though, bikes off to Manchester very soon but the existing brakes would benefit from an facelift. Drop me a PM if you would care to do so :)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm 
Retro Guru

123yka wrote:
I rescued the bike from the garden of a house I was working in, once I gave it a clean and a bit of lubrication it just needed 2 tyres and inner tubes. I replaced them yesterday and took the it for a short 4 mile shakedown ride.
Enjoyed my first go on a road bike since the late 80's but think I either need some padded shorts or a new saddle

Not even in a shed? just the garden? blimey that is a find! That saddle (if its the one in my original pic) is possibly the worst thing i've sat on - hideous. The one on the finished bike was £10 new off ebay and a massive improvement. Sounds like you've had a bit of a find there - you going to be getting some miles in (saddle situation pending...)?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Good evening,

I am very tired and not well, but did i mention previously that i have seen one of these recently - in greata condition and all the OE gold bits? £120 would have bought it. I am thinking that i might need to kick myself!

Richard

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Evening Richard - sorry to hear your not feeling too good, does that mean no updates on your builds?

Didn't you know that these Record Sprints are the new cool - seems they stir a lot of memories of good times - and at £120 that's not a lot of cash. Is it not still available? If not, there's quite a few on the bay going for about the same price and all, rather strangely, in huge sizes! I've always been small, but I don't recall the 80's as being a time when everyone was 6ft plus?!?!?

Possibly not a good time to be kicking yourself if your not well...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:10 pm 

Hopefully get a few miles in on it shortly, when I found it I wasnt sure it was salvagable, but once i managed to trim back the bramble bush that was growing through the frame and get it pulled out I thought it looked a solid base to start from.
First time on a road bike since my parents bought me a raleigh milk race special i the late 80's
Just a shame no where can supply the original decals as mine are looking a bit tatty

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Brambles!! So it had been in the garden for many a moon - how come it hadn't rusted? Fair play to you for rescuing it. Milk Race special - they bring back memories - my folks wanted to get me one (and to my shame) I kicked off until I ended up with a Bianchi Sprint which was a far better deal - not proud of that teenage behaviour though.

Anyway, I digress - those decals I put on mine are off ebay, not exactly correct but they look ok. Alternatively send Nick at HLloyd cycles an email - he may be able to get some made up for you :)

How did you find your first expedition out on a road bike? that's quite some time since your last jaunt!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:33 pm 
Retro Guru

If anyone is interested, I have access to the full decal set for the mid 80's 'Aerospace Contour' frame Record Sprints, plus the version that followed that in 1985/6 (i.e. the bikes with the Space Shuttle decal)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:55 pm 

MrW wrote:
If anyone is interested, I have access to the full decal set for the mid 80's 'Aerospace Contour' frame Record Sprints, plus the version that followed that in 1985/6 (i.e. the bikes with the Space Shuttle decal)

Could you let me know how much you would be after for them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next