Raleigh Record Sprint - Help Required.

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Funny how things happen. Read a thread on here yesterday and someone mentioned gumtree - thought blimey, havent looked at that in ages. Typed in Gumtree Nottingham, went to the sport section and there was a Raleigh Record Sprint frame for sale for £30. Pictures weren't great but at 30 sovs you can't not be interested. Rang the chap - it was his dads - and he said yeah, frames fine but the decals are pealing. To cut a short story shorter, within 90 minutes of that phone call the bike plus some wheels was at my abode. Internet shopping at it's fastest.

So to the help I need - anyone got a component list as it would of been in the shop? I think most things have been changed over the years - SR bars & Weinmann levers / calipers are still in place but everything else looks like it's been swapped out - drivetrain is all Shimano. Wheels provided are Mavic MA3's on Maillard 700 large flange hubs - obviously not the originals.

Cables are internally routed in the top-tube so i'm assuming this is one of the latter made frames - 1986? 501 tubing. Frame Number: 4461446 (no letters??) located on the BB with a 76 also stamped further round on the BB. Can't find anything on the www as there's no letters to identify where it was made.

I've seen a couple of other threads on RB for this model of bike as well as the very impressive anodising carried out recently to create the gold components - I won't be going that far - but the plan is to (cheaply) swap out what I can then I can put a thread up on the readers road bike section.

Any suggestions / component list would be greatly welcomed so I can do a quick re-furb and take it for a spin this summer.

Cheers all :)

Attachments

• IMAG0258.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,012
the later ones had all black components but yours looks early because of the graphics. Personally, and I've been wanting to do this for years, I'd build it with newer easy to find black components and just add bit's of gold here and there i.e some of the bolts, skewers, that sort of thing....

Bloody 'el Richard, that is a result - sterling work locating that!! Nice one indeed.

I'm a bit perplexed by this frame - the decals as you say Tel suggest it's an early frame, but it most certainly isn't - I think you're very much on the money Shaun when you say very late model. Those frames with the old style graphics (from what I can find from images on the www) had the gold components & braze on cable guides. My frame has the old style graphics but internal routing which came with the black 'groupset' so to speak. All a bit misleading. No letter in the BB stamp number which again seems to go against convention?

Sticker near the BB says 'made in Nottingham' as does the decal (what's left of it) on the downtube - 'designed & made in Nottingham'. Then there's the chainstay bridge - this is bizarre - hasn't been cut, no snap marks and original paint and yet it only goes 3/4 of the way across - see the attached pic - no structural purpose if only to hold a mudguard.

As for build proposal - going to strip it this week and polish the frame which is in fantastic condition, get new decals then it'll be on hold for a while - other builds to complete first. Good plan on the black with gold accents, this is being done on a budget as it won't see a huge amount of use, I just fancied taking a £30 bargain and seeing if I can get it looking and riding ok without my usual propensity for high end component lists that empty the wallet!

Attachments

• IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0259.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 973
Thanks, i try to please... almost beer time but i am sooooo tried i don't know if i could be bothered.

Good luck with the build,

Richard

p.s. i think i was just lucky!!!

I think you should reward yourself Richard, it'll remove the internet angst you went through sourcing that info!!

Pint will do you good :)

This model had internal routing:

6357357859_9d41b265a9_z.jpg

viewtopic.php?t=174740

Yes that bridge is normal for later low end Raleighs, the Pioneer I just sold had the same.

See that one has the newer smaller graphics and the 501 sticker at the top of the ST. Mine's got older larger decals and an older style 501 sticker at the bottom the ST. oh well, not going to lose sleep over it, just a bit perplexing.

Back