Winter Clothing - yes, i know it is spring!!

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

Any advice / recommendations regarding winter jackets would be appreciated - as it is supposed to be spring there seem to be some offers on winter jackets and, if it stays the way it is here, i am really going to need one.

Links to offers or advice on what is good kit would be appreciated (or used jackets),

Thanks all the Easter Bunny RBers,

Richard

It's the same here Richard, ridiculously cold.

I swear by Castelli Jackets, not cheap though, even in the sales. Endura stuff is also decent though doesn't wash that well.

I have also done some ebaying to find ex team issue jackets and have an ex Team Once & Omega Pharma Lotto jackets and I have to admit they are superb - much warmer than the stuff you can by in shops - the downside is I feel a bit out of place wearing them as they suggest the rider is better than he actually is!! :oops:

Thanks - my friend has bought a PDM (i think) jacket and he says it is great but, as you mentioned, it suggests a lot!!!! Pity there are no Saga Team jackets - that would suit me more!

Richard

Saga - now there's a thought for an alternative cycling holiday!!

I bought a couple of NOS PDM jackets from Paddy Power on ebay, they're ok but not warm. I suspect these were shop issue rather than team issue.

Your obvious choice (if you can stomach it) is to buy some of the olympic leftovers that purport to be team issue but then you also have to ride around with the Sky logo which to me is a bit of cliche given the numbers you see out on the road.

I think the PDM jackets came from PP. Olympic coat and me would not be a good combination!!

I have looked at Mavic and Altura - Castelli is costly and i would rather try it on than chance it on line.

Stange thing about cycling - all the sizes for shoes and clothing are just mad!!

Richard

I wasn't suggesting the union jack stuff Richard, appreciate that isn't going to work - more the black & blue stuff that is all over ebay - supposedly olympic issue!?

Mavic is nice stuff, and you can get it at decent prices in the sales.

There's an ebay shop based in Southport I think that does factory seconds for Campag gear, though they never have my size. Agreed, some brands are way off on the sizing - that's why I tend to stick to Castelli & Mavic as I know they fit correctly.

I have a shop quite close which stocks the expensive stuff but i would feel bad sizing it there and buying elsewhere.

This whole issue would be solved if the weather improved but i am not holding my breath. On a slightly related link - i bought a rain caot from Ribble/Wiggle - it is a DHB thing that folds into your hand. I saw it advertised and then i got an email about their sale and i bought it for £22 ish. I did wonder at the time if i was being done as really you never know the real price - they say it is £100 reduced to £30 and you think - good price but you always wonder. Well i was showing it to a guy in work at it is now £40 ish - so it was a real sale price and i was happy - i am not easily pleased!!

Richard

there was an item in the press recently saying the gulf stream may have moved on a more permanent basis and therefore winters will all be like this one and summers will be wet and not as warm!! :shock: time to sell up and move abroad if that's the case!

I'd try your LBS, even if you have little intention of buying - high risk strategy buying off the www if you don't know it fits! I'm a firm believer in the retailers who can buy in bulk can always offer the best deals, but you are exactly right - who knows what the 'actual' price is. Ribble do some crazy deals, just need a few more to join in to undercut each other and lower the prices!! the wiggo effect is still playing havoc on my bank balance!! :evil:

I need clothing without pockets as my hand keeps reaching for my wallet at the moment - but prices are still rising from what i have seen in the past few months. And, i have too many builds ongoing or in preparation.

The LBS i mention has fixed prices but the kit is good stuff and you do get what you pay for so it may be best to shop there, but it still is uncomforable forking out so much money for a jacket. I have been 'making do' with a compression vest, long sleeved jersey and the rain coat but it is really too cold for that to work.

Richard

I think I sort of object to paying big monies for a jacket or shoes (that's another world of financial pain) because for the same monies I could buy more components to finish the 5 builds that have stalled. It's weighing up where to spend the monies - retro parts or a fancy piece of technical clothing?

Thing is riding isn't any fun when you're cold so it's probably worth biting the bullet and buying a proper set of winter kit, then it's there when needed and you haven't got the excuse not to go out riding when the weather is like it is now.

Back