Help needed with the identification of 8 sets vintage pedals

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
Hi fellow cycle enthusiasts

Ive inherited 8 sets of vintage peddles: :D

Can anyone out there help me identify the make/ year and if possible what bike they would/could of come from. :?

Your advise help is of course appreciated:

PEDDLE SET 1
P1050302.jpg

P1050303.jpg

P1050304.jpg

PEDDLE SET 2
P1050299.jpg

P1050300.jpg

P1050301.jpg

PEDDLE SET 3
P1050296.jpg

P1050297.jpg

P1050298.jpg

PEDDLE SET 4
P1050295.jpg

PEDDLE SET 5
P1050292.jpg

P1050293.jpg

P1050294.jpg

PEDDLE 6
P1050290.jpg

P1050291.jpg

PEDDLE SET 7
P1050288.jpg

P1050289.jpg

PEDDLE SET 8
P1050286.jpg

P1050287.jpg

P1050278.jpg

PEDDLE SET 9
P1050281.jpg

P1050285.jpg

P1050284.jpg

Thanks for your time
Neil

Re: Help needed with the identification of 8 sets vintage pe

The top 2 sets are both by Union of Germany; the ones with rubber bits would probably be for shopper/commuter bikes whilst the all-metal ones would be for cheap-ish road bikes and suitable for fitting clips & straps. I recall seeing similar Union pedals in the shops in the late 80s/early 90s.
Set no.3 is by Sakae Ringyo (think I've spelt that right!!) aka SR of Japan, out of all of your pics these seem the most upmarket set of pedals and have alloy bodies - probably intended for fairly serious road bikes (racing or touring), and again they have provision for clips/straps. Probably 1970s judging by the style of SR logo?
The minimal looking pair no.8 is the interesting one; "Made in France" can just be made out which probably makes them by either Lyotard or Maillard. They're platform-type pedals for serious racing using cleated shoes (with a single slot on the cleat to engage with the back ridge of the pedal - not quite as sophisticated as today's clipless cleats), and the "tongue" on the back is for flipping the pedal round so that you can slot your foot in to the toeclip; I did have a set of Maillard platforms back in the early 90s but they had alloy bodies of a very different design.

David

Don't know all of them but no. 3 is Sakae Ringyo from the early-mid 1990s. Probably used on 1000s of bikes before clipless pedals came along.
Cheaper alternative to campagnolo, seem to be quite well regarded.

No. 8 look like Lyotard Marcel Berthet. Produced from the 1930-40's until the 1980s largely unchanged and used on racing bikes until clipless
pedals came along and Lyotard failed to keep up.

No. 9 some kind of Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) pedals, BSA were a manufacturer of guns and bikes until they got swallowed up by Raleigh.

You could try http://www.velobase.com or http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk for more info.

Johnny

The BSA pedals were only sold on one of their slightly better bikes in the 1950's. You should see that the Lyotard and BSA have solid machined centres, a more expensive and superior construction at the time. I also saw the name Phillips, who were well known for components. The other quill pedals look like brampton, but see the cheaper construction.

Thanks chaps your knowledge is fantastic, you definatley know your stuff!!
Know its time to get them cleaned up!!

thanks
Neil

Any ideas on sets 4 5 6 and 7???

Neil

At 80 my sight is not too good, but 5 and 7 I can read the name Phillips, 4 is the other quill pedal I described as Brampton, (not SR or BSA) and 6 are just about the cheapest ever, I wouild not even admit to making them, although there is a logo on the cap.

Back