Odd Freewheel Query

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Afternoon all,

I am currently building 2 bikes for my wife and daughter -

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=248610

I might use the rear axle and freewheel from the Raleigh and put it on the Peugeot - the Pug is 3sp and the Raleigh 5sp. I have looked briefly at the Raleigh freewheel and i cannot see any slots etc to attach a remover. It has 2 indents but i think they are to take the freewheel apart. Here is a pic of the offending part -

IMGP2341_zps2d40f096.jpg

Any suggestions as to the best way to remove it are, as always, greatly appreciated.

Happy Easter all,

Richard

It's probably internally splined, I can't see because of the washer. You'll need the special remover....

I'd be interested in that 3 speed freewheel ;)

I thought you have no money!!!!

I will see how i get on with this, i might end up with the 3sp on my daughters bike, if not, i will be in touch.

Richard

Looks like a TF(something)Z Shimano freewheel, as stated above the splines are hidden inside - it's the most common type of tool you need so a nice LBS should whip it off for free!?

As you said the two circular idents are reverse threaded and are for for taking it apart - don't bother, just clean it up then oil it the where you see movement

If it turns out that there are no splines in there for removal, I don't think that one is leaving you any alternative, although I'm happy to be shown one!

Knock the lockring loose, likely clockwise, probably after Plus-Gas or whatever, unscrew, along with anything else in there that wants to unscrew/come out.. arrange a container to collect the bearings/pawls etc, hold the wheel horizontally, driveside down, and then pull the ratchet/sprockets down off the 'core'. If you want to get the core off the hub, more Plus-Gas, get the pawl-housings clamped in a vice and apply leverage to the rim. If it's stubborn, gently squeezing the core in a few positions in the vice may help to break the bond.

You may be able to service the freewheel, reassemble, and use it on a bike again, but if you do, realise that if you wish to remove it from the wheel at a later date, you will have to do it this way again, unless you can modify it by providing anchorage for some sort of removal tool...

Back