Chain comparability

Bananarama

Retro Newbie
Hi, I've just become the proud owner of a Raleigh Banana. So I thought I had better sign up to RetroBike. My first question (probably of many) is-
I've had to order new wheels, and for easy servicing and parts have gone with some Shimano Tiagra hubs with an 8 speed freehub. Does anyone know of any compatability issues with new 8 speed chains and the old 'custom' chainrings on the bike?

Bananarama":2foci2nm said:
Hi, I've just become the proud owner of a Raleigh Banana. So I thought I had better sign up to RetroBike. My first question (probably of many) is-
I've had to order new wheels, and for easy servicing and parts have gone with some Shimano Tiagra hubs with an 8 speed freehub. Does anyone know of any compatability issues with new 8 speed chains and the old 'custom' chainrings on the bike?

3/32 pitch so any 7/8 speed chain will work.

Hi, welcome to the forum. You may need to check your rear dropout width as it's likely to be 126mm which will make an 8 speed freehub too wide (possibly 130mm?). You'll have to spread the rear stays out to 130mm, proceed with caution.

Martin

Pulling the stiff rear triangle apart enough to slip in the wheel (remember you need to expand it a bit more so it slides in easilly) is a bit of a strain on the thumbs :(

Shaun

Cold setting! Near suicide. I Invented sods law, so I'll give that a miss. What about an old axel, slowly and alternately unscrewing the cones to push the frame outwards?

You could do that but you can't guarantee that you'll get even spread each side, one stay might be in the original place and the other side might push out by 4mm...

Back