Changing from triple to double - campagnolo racing T

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
As per above

I currently have a Racing T 9 speed chainset and I'm looking to switch to a double crankset.

Can i use my existing ergoshifters (Veloce or Centaur, can't remember off the top of my head) and would I need to change front mechs too?

Thanks in advance!

I've not done it with Campagnolo only Shimano. I'm running dura ace triple front shifter on a double chainset. Before you tension/clamp up the cable for the front mech make sure the shifter is in "second gear". Then clamp up your cable, worked for years on my dura ace kit. I can't see an issue with using the triple front mech on a double chainset buy I'm happy to be corrected.

It should be no problem. You don't need to put the front shifter in any particular position first as Campagnolo front Ergo shifters fortunately are not indexed. Just set the front shifter up as you would for any double, with the thumb lever fully depressed when you tighten the cable with the front mech positioned over the smaller chain ring. All the left hand Ergo shifters work with double or triple front chainsets as far as I know. I imagine the front triple mech has no way of knowing whether there is a third ring or not and will happily switch between just 39 and 52 or whatever and will probably cope with a compact front chainset as well if necessary.

I really like my Racing T 8 speed bike and more modern one with Comp Triple 10 speed but maybe that just reflects my lack of fitness and inability to climb hills with a double after about 50 miles.

You only need to change the chainset, adjust the front mech and you're good to go - unlike many Shimano, Campagnolo shifters aren't double or triple specific

Back