new shimano SPD-SL pedal bent after minor fall

Percybigun

Old School Hero
i recently fitted some new shimano spd-sl pedals.

the bike then went into a LBS to get a new crankset fitted.

next time I was riding the bike, at the end of the ride my shoe got stuck in the pedal when i stopped, and i slowly fell off sideways. the bike is light and the fall was minor/slow, so the only thing that hit the floor was the pedal (and my knee, youch!)

then the next time i rode the bike i noticed the pedal and its axle is bent. so either the LBS has cross threaded the pedal, or could i have bent it with such a minor/slow fall?

i know the easy way to tell is remove the pedal and try another one in there, but i havent had time. does anyone know if these shimano pedals are weak enough to bend with one minor clout?

If the LBS had cross threaded the pedal then your knees would have noticed.....

The guy who sits opposite me in the office ( Koga Miata, Basso Astra, and an old raleigh) stopped at some lights in Dumfries a few years ago and fell slowly to the left as he failed to swivel his foot fast enough........

Admitted to hospital with fractured neck of femour which needed pinning and all that entails plus knakered his crank / pedal.

3 months off :)

Maybe you got off lightly lol

Shaun

i've checked and the pedal axle/thread is bent, so it deffo was my fall that caused it (not the LBS!)

is there any way of straightening them, and does anywhere sell them singularly (its the shimano R540 pedal).

i'm surprised it had bent so badly so easily. the original raleigh pedals lasted through alot of battle damage over 20 years before i finally bent one when i fell off p1ssed lol. and it is still straight enough to be useable, but looks pretty poor.

i've since learnt to unclip my foot about 20 yards before i stop. i am fairly good at landing from a fall which is why i got off lightly!

Me! I wouldn't bother trying to get a new axle as it will take ages to get a replacement. Just buy a new pair, there only about £25 aren't they ?

Back