Raleigh Team Dynatech road bikes

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Hi folks,
Inspired by a few threads recently about bringing old Raleigh team issue bikes back to life, I though I should get back to my pet project of trying to collect all the Raleigh team liveried framesets in as many tubesets as possible. Very borderline-OCD I know, but why would I let that stop me ...

Anyway, the Team frame that I'm having the greatest difficulty finding anything much about is the Team Dynatech variant from the early 1990's. MTB's in this particular livery are more frequently seen - I'm sure that most of us have marveled at sinnett177's recreation of Adrian Timmis' old race bike in this thread. There have also been a couple of 531-tubed MTBs showing up on this site, while the gas-pipe ATB version is a regular feaure on ebay. But the road bikes, team issue or replica are a different proposition. They certainly existed, as the catalogue spread in the archive shows:

gallery2.php

but where-oh-where are all these team road bikes and frames now?! I had a brief exchange with Adrian about it and he confirmed that he had 'some' road frames in these colours during his time on the team and that the riders got to keep them at the end of the season - but he had no idea of the whereabouts of any of his team frames by now.

So can anyone shed any further light and share any details about roughly how many of these Team-coloured road frames were made, and what tubeset/s was/were normally used. Also, how to set about tracking one down? Also whether there were replica versions available to the public, and if so in what tubing? With Raleigh being fully aware of the value of marketing, I find it unlikely that there was no Team replica in these colours - but at the same time I don't remember seeing them around.

Looking forward to any and all replies, especially from luminaries like bikemeister2000. I'd dearly love to know a bit more about these road frames, even if it doesn't take me any closer to obtaining one.

Cheers,
Gareth.

garethrl":3q92ckh2 said:
Hi folks,
Inspired by a few threads recently about bringing old Raleigh team issue bikes back to life, I though I should get back to my pet project of trying to collect all the Raleigh team liveried framesets in as many tubesets as possible. Very borderline-OCD I know, but why would I let that stop me ...

Anyway, the Team frame that I'm having the greatest difficulty finding anything much about is the Team Dynatech variant from the early 1990's. MTB's in this particular livery are more frequently seen - I'm sure that most of us have marveled at sinnett177's recreation of Adrian Timmis' old race bike in this thread. There have also been a couple of 531-tubed MTBs showing up on this site, while the gas-pipe ATB version is a regular feaure on ebay. But the road bikes, team issue or replica are a different proposition. They certainly existed, as the catalogue spread in the archive shows:

gallery2.php

but where-oh-where are all these team road bikes and frames now?! I had a brief exchange with Adrian about it and he confirmed that he had 'some' road frames in these colours during his time on the team and that the riders got to keep them at the end of the season - but he had no idea of the whereabouts of any of his team frames by now.

So can anyone shed any further light and share any details about roughly how many of these Team-coloured road frames were made, and what tubeset/s was/were normally used. Also, how to set about tracking one down? Also whether there were replica versions available to the public, and if so in what tubing? With Raleigh being fully aware of the value of marketing, I find it unlikely that there was no Team replica in these colours - but at the same time I don't remember seeing them around.

Looking forward to any and all replies, especially from luminaries like bikemeister2000. I'd dearly love to know a bit more about these road frames, even if it doesn't take me any closer to obtaining one.

Cheers,
Gareth.

What looked very much like an ex-David Baker team CX bike in the above colours was doing the rounds in the YCCA races about 10 years ago - I remember seeing it at Northallerton in autumn 2002. I forget the tubing but probably an orthodox 753 job; it certainly wasn't a bonded frame.

David

I read a post somewhere that said Ian Cammish gave away a couple of low profile dynatech frames to a subscriber to Time Trialling Forum who wanted to get hold of one. It may be worth registering there and putting out a plea, he probably used the standard frames to train on?

He's a member here and posted up a thread on his lo-pro a while ago. He also has a normal frame.

Allshownogo?

Thanks for the input guys. I read up on the allshownogo thread - he did indeed acquire a couple of Ian Cammish's old frames, in Team Dynatech livery. One was left as-is and the other was refinished in Team Banana colours. He also has an old RSP frame in 853 that was previously re-finished in Team Banana colours and that's set up fixed.

I also got in touch directly with Ian Cammish via his personal website and he responded very promptly. It turns out that he doesn't have a Team Dynatech road frame, and never did. The only road frame he has is in Team Castorama colours and he still uses it as one of his regular training machines. A Good testament to the longevity of these frames and a counterpoint to the tales of premature failure.

So, I'm still no closer to working out how many of these Team Dynatech coloured frames were made, let alone how to potentially set about getting one! I've also not established whether there was a replica version available to the public at the time. The quest continues ...

The David Baker CX machine would be a nice one to track down! I guess it's the one partially shown here:

1281623575IMG.jpg

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielers ... 575IMG.jpg

which I found here, though unfortunately without much more information. Does anyone know what David's doing these days?

Cheers,
Gareth.

Re: Genuine Road Team issue 753 Dyna Tech

Hi all. Just by a way of update to this thread, I have recently aquired a genuine team issue Dyna tech 753. I got it via a house clearance in Leicester. It's exactly the same as the one pictured at the start of this thread and may even be the very one pictured! I brought it knowing it was rare in 753 (the equivalent in dynatech) but on closer inspection it is stamped with a high SB number 9xxx, but more inportantly it says 56 GC. I'm assuming this is Gary Coltman!

Obviously very pleased with it. Even the replicas are rare. I had a 653 and traditional braze one in these colours. I will post some pictures in a week or so, unfortunately I'm away with work at the moment. If anyone has any more info I would love to know. Obviously the SB numbers were for the Ilkeston built frames but this closed in the late 80s. Did the team bikes continue to have SB numbers. I think mine is the 1992 or 93 team.

Thanks

Vrcorrado

Re:

Funny you should mention a 753 fixie in Raleigh Banana colours, it's just popped up on eBay!

Re: Genuine Road Team issue 753 Dyna Tech

Hi all. Just by a way of update to this thread, I have recently aquired a genuine team issue Dyna tech 753. I got it via a house clearance in Leicester. It's exactly the same as the one pictured at the start of this thread and may even be the very one pictured! I brought it knowing it was rare in 753 (the equivalent in dynatech) but on closer inspection it is stamped with a high SB number 9xxx, but more inportantly it says 56 GC. I'm assuming this is Gary Coltman!

Obviously very pleased with it. Even the replicas are rare. I had a 653 and traditional braze one in these colours. I will post some pictures in a week or so, unfortunately I'm away with work at the moment. If anyone has any more info I would love to know. Obviously the SB numbers were for the Ilkeston built frames but this closed in the late 80s. Did the team bikes continue to have SB numbers. I think mine is the 1992 or 93 team.

Thanks

Vrcorrado
Hi have you still got this bike , as I have got one. And am trying to find out some history and pics on it , cheers

Back