Old frame collected, loads of build/help questions

oldgit

Retro Guru
I've just picked up my 531 Professional Hannington frame set, for £100 it was a bit of a lottery.
I think it's okay but I'd love some help.

First it has rust in just one area that I can't rub down to shiny steel, is this a major issue?

The forks have alloy oval plugs in the crown, I've never seen this before and one is missing. Any help here would be great. I suppose a bit like the 'coins' in Gios frames.

The farmer who found this also gave me some wheels as freebies as they weren't in the sale. The rear is a stunning Mavic Argent sprint on a nice Cyclone hub with a 5 speed straight through freewheel.
The front is a LF Normandy with no internals, what would fit?

Bonus bits are a set of early nutted 105 calipers and non aero levers with mint hoods.

The sad bit is the Campag chainset looks like a Strada? but is very very badly corroded and has Williams and Zeus ring, the BB is fine as are the tapers. that's going

Here's the odd 'missing?' cap
8585575996_011af39a1e_z.jpg

Fixed the Normandy with an old Mailard from a gas pipe Peugeot.

I don't think that cap has any structural function, it's just there to keep the weather out..Shouldn't be too much trouble to shape a bit of alloy to fit in there and epoxy it or something. Take a rubbing and use it as a template?
Where is the rust on the frame?
Pic. of chainset would help identify it... It's probably salvageable with a lot of work. Hopefully tapers and pedal threads are sound.

Back