Claude Butler year of manufacture?

Pedalitis

Old School Hero
I have a Claude Butler with the serial number 941947 bought on eBay a couple of years ago. It was advertised as 'around 1948' but I have since seen an online comment that Claudes before 1957 can be dated to their month and year, simply from the serial number. As there is no '8' in my serial number, that would suggest it can't be 1948. Can anyone help with information on the likely date of manufacture - could it perhaps just be the 94th bike built in 1947?

Thanks
Bob

Hi, a picture is always appreciated, but based on the serial number April 1949, a good year for real clauds. Terry

Re: Claud Butler year of manufacture?

Hello Terry, many thanks. I have uploaded a picture. It was resprayed to a reasonable standard in 1980 - probably not the original colour. It looks good but I am just considering a full professional restoration of the frame and starting to search for some period components. It was updated over the years but still has a nice classic look. Bob

Attachments

• ClaudeButler1949.jpg
    ClaudeButler1949.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 231

That's really stunning Terry, particularly the way the lugs have been finished and the handlebars. Mine is lugless - you wouldn't happen to recognise the model would you?

thanks Terry - can't find an exact match - I guess it may have been custom made. However, I now know more than I did, so that's progress! Bob

guys , don't forget that most bikes of that era and later were built from framesets to avoid purchase tax, so looking for the actual model to compare will sometimes be difficult, the buyer either built himself with what he could afford parts wise or had his local bikemonger fit whatever they had to hand.. the ''anoraks'' in many of the classics forums are talking through their ass when they say it must have this part and this bit to be a sought after machine.. its not easy today, but IF you had the parts you can create a dream machine of that era and they wouldn't all be british .. believe me it rarely happened.. a curly hetchins 1949 i was the third owner, frameset cost the man 19 guineas in 1949.. lot of dough by any standard.. i think depending on the city /town 80 quid would have bought a small terrace house. will.

Back