Slime

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What are the pro's and cons of Slime? (the sort you inject into your inner tubes to prevent punctures, not the sort from Ghost Busters)

The Positive: Great for Schrader valve tubes.

The Negative: Although it can be done, its a real pain it the neck getting it in a Presta valve tube.

A downgrade IMO. Slime & the like adds weight (rotating) in the wrong place, makes wheels heavier resulting in a slower bike. If or when it leaks out it also makes one hell of a mess.
Best practice is to carry a couple of spare inner-tubes and a good pump, changing a tube takes only a couple of minutes this way. Patch/repair at home.

If you get a serious puncture that even the sealant goo can't sort out, the result is very messy! Happened to me with a pre-filled Schwalbe self-sealing tube in a CX race at Hillingdon a couple of seasons back. I now use ordinary tubes with Slime tyre liner strips to keep the thorns at bay instead, much better all round.

David

Pros, erm................ you can get it cheaply.
Cons, its not very good, it's probably the fastest drying sealant i've ever used. A few weeks after fitting, both tubes flatted, nothing came out of the hole, it'd completely dried out. That was 15 years ago, never used it since.

Try something that works instead, there are half a dozen other alternatives.

(And if you are running presta, get tubes with removeable valves and an applicator bottle. Just goes straight in. No fuss.)

Back