road bike clothing

supermario

Dirt Disciple
hi people going to take my bike out first time . but what should i be wearing in this weather and also don't want to look stupid ....

Um, a minor point - where are you?

Spain or southern California - shorts and shirt spd moses sandals
UK - N Ireland (where i am) thermal base layer, long sleeved shirt, coat, warm socks, shoes, over shoes, thermal cap (beanie), face guard, helmet, glasses - clear lenses, winter gloves, bib tights.

As you can see, it depends where you are and what the weather is doing.

More info required,

Richard

TGR":3gy4h6tb said:
UK - N Ireland (where i am) thermal base layer, long sleeved shirt, coat, warm socks, shoes, over shoes, thermal cap (beanie), face guard, helmet, glasses - clear lenses, winter gloves, bib tights.

In the absence of a long sleeved jersey, a summer one + "Roubaix" type armwarmers works just as well. Thermal headband/ear warmer thingies like this....

bontrager-thermal-headband.jpg

....are quite effective too in cold weather (I've used a Scott one for yonks), but take care - they are also quite good at muffling approaching traffic noise too. :(

David

On a road bike you can get away with looking stoopid as all the bright skin tight lycra is expected. In winter who cares what others think you look like if its practical and warm !

At this time of year I would suggest without a shadow of doubt is to wear very bright day glow yellow/orange tops
you see far too many 'modern cyclists' these days who wear nothing but black and are hidden in the gutter until
the very last second by passing cars, Be seen be safe!

I wear dark colours ion the garage and have been reasonably safe so far this winter - even the wife has probs finding me - especially when i 'borrow' her cleaning materials...

I'll get my fluro coat ...........

Back