Another SBDU Raleigh This time in 531 Pro

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
I just couldn't help myself; I've bought another SBDU frameset and haven't even finished building the first 2 yet...

So while the 1975 track frame sits patiently, and the 1980 753 Team Pro is having lots of NOS bits bought for it, this late 84/early 85 frame has now muscled it's way into the collection. I can't tell if this is original to the day it left Ilkeston but the paint is good and the rear chrome is good. The only thing that is poor is the chrome on the fork crown. The French 531 Professional decals are a 'different' feature too. While I'm sticking to complete originality with the 753 frame, I'm thinking about a nice 7sp Dura-Ace group on this.

http://wp.me/p2bi1s-4z

Attachments

• SBDU SB7219 531 Pro.jpg
    SBDU SB7219 531 Pro.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,230
  • SBDU SB7219 531 Pro French Decal.jpg
    SBDU SB7219 531 Pro French Decal.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,231
  • SBDU SB7219 531 Pro SB Number.jpg
    SBDU SB7219 531 Pro SB Number.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,231
  • SBDU SB7219 531 Pro Rear Stays.jpg
    SBDU SB7219 531 Pro Rear Stays.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,231
it's really unusual and i've never seen anything like that come from raleigh lightweight division.

the colour scheme/ chrome is unique and the decals are the american style. lovely "shot in"
fastback seat stays and lots of other features which undoubtedly make it from the raleigh
stable, but i wonder why the french fork blade decals? i wonder if someone has had this frame resprayed
and/ or chromed at some point?

very nice and i would love it in my small fleet of retro bikes!

:cool:

rusty bodie":1hkz7zg5 said:
it's really unusual and i've never seen anything like that come from raleigh lightweight division.

the colour scheme/ chrome is unique and the decals are the american style. lovely "shot in"
fastback seat stays and lots of other features which undoubtedly make it from the raleigh
stable, but i wonder why the french fork blade decals? i wonder if someone has had this frame resprayed

Yep, very American with those Raleigh decals. I love it because of the shot in stays. My 753 has the classic over sized seat stay caps and my track frame has almost got wrap around stays, so I guess I have one of each kind now

This has all the same lugs and braze-ons as the SBDU 531 Panasonic Super Chrome frames from the mid 80's. I'm thinking it may be a repaint but the paint and chrome look old, it looks original. I would definitely say the paint would easily be 20+ years old, so if it was a repaint, it was done not long into it's life.

I'm a member of the TI Raleigh group and there is another example of the French decals on a 753 frame. Word has it that there was a shortage of decals in the mid/late 80's and a glut of French ones - don't know if that is true or not, or just yet another story about the "mystical" Ilkeston unit.

Anyhow, I like this colour so it looks like it is staying :D

But with the 753 only half built and the track frame next, this is probably going to have a long easy life hanging up for a while :D

aye, an interesting frame indeed and a great find.
love the tale about the fork blade transfers and entirely
possible too!

any chance of posting some photos of your other raleigh frames?

The seat tube decal looks a bit high to me. Another pointer towards a re-spray? Whatever, nice frame.

rusty bodie":3cdfn396 said:
aye, an interesting frame indeed and a great find.
love the tale about the fork blade transfers and entirely
possible too!

any chance of posting some photos of your other raleigh frames?

Here's some of my other 2 SBDU Raleigh Frames

I've got a separate thread going for the 753 so I think I'll update that with some more pics

Attachments

• TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame SBDU 1975.jpg
    TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame SBDU 1975.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,130
  • SBDU Raleigh Team Pro 753 (2).jpg
    SBDU Raleigh Team Pro 753 (2).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,130
Not that unusual - another SBDU Raleigh This time in 531 Pro

originalshinkicker":6qicdksv said:
rusty bodie":6qicdksv said:

Yep, very American with those Raleigh decals. I love it because of the shot in stays. My 753 has the classic over sized seat stay caps and my track frame has almost got wrap around stays, so I guess I have one of each kind now
This has all the same lugs and braze-ons as the SBDU 531 Panasonic Super Chrome frames from the mid 80's. I'm thinking it may be a repaint but the paint and chrome look old, it looks original. I would definitely say the paint would easily be 20+ years old, so if it was a repaint, it was done not long into it's life.
I'm a member of the TI Raleigh group and there is another example of the French decals on a 753 frame. Word has it that there was a shortage of decals in the mid/late 80's and a glut of French ones - don't know if that is true or not, or just yet another story about the "mystical" Ilkeston unit.

I have a Pro Super with"English"Reynolds decals (they're original, I've had it from new), and one of the last made in this tubeset by the SBDU - there are many tales about the SBDU that are apocryphal.

My view is that the font is not quite right for a US"team"frame (plus I'm in agreement with Ned about the position of the seat tube decal), I've not seen many US"team"frames in anything other than 531c; the frame also lacks the"iconic"foil SBDU decal on the chainstay(s)vgb .

I think it's had a repaint, it doesn't look quite right for an SBDU finish; crude black lining - and the fork crown. The TI frame looks nice, and not wishing to be churlish I get a little bored looking at team frames - of the TI or Panasonic variety: too many SBDU frames are being restored into this livery. Not sure about the underbracket cable guide either (looks all wrong to me).

Not trying to be negative, just my opinion from experience of ordering a new frame in person, and having some involvement with the Raleigh-Weinmann Team BITD.

Roadking.

You can never tell what has happened with a frame that's 27ish years old. Who knows how many owners (or colours it's had). There are things like the cable guide that look horrible. However, the thing that gets me about the SBDU frames is the quality and detail - strip back the paint and decals and there is a top quality handbuilt british frame built by some of the top builders and craftsmen in the country :D

Latest posts

Back