VISCOUNT Vintage Verification

81stuperman

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I bought Vintage 70's Racing bike off ebay for £60 and need help identifying it. It has a Viscount steerer tube badge. It also has 'AT Action' on the crosstube and 'shark' on the downtube and seat tube. I haven't managed to find a bike that matched this description anywhere. I can only find the Viscount Aerospace.

I am wondering if there is anyway to tell what bike it is? I was wondering if it was actually an aerospace but the paint job doesnt match any of the ones I have seen.

I can get more detailed pics if required.

Meanwhile, does anyone know of the 'at action' or 'shark' model?

I wasn't after a 'find' or spotting a rare bike or anything, just wanted a cheap runaround to use with the missus and to I wanted to fit a bike trailer too for my son. But I may as well try and make it look nice and attempt to restore a close to original as possible.

Thanks

Stu

Attachments

• viscountJPEG.jpg
    viscountJPEG.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 185
So in the later years of Viscount, late 70's, the company was taken over by Yamaha. They brought out a number of cheaper models alongside the Aerospace but there is next to no information about them online. I never found out anything about mine, other than it was quite different to the Aerospace and the components that it would have came with were quite a lot cheaper and weren't the signature Viscount parts. Yours looks like it was one of those models too. Mine was late 70's, but yours looks like it might be an 80's model going by the paint colour.

Mine came with the cast fork originally, because it was wearing the chrome replacement, but yours looks like it came with the painted one. Mine had a 25.4mm seat post, which points to regular steel tubes and nothing special - measure the diameter on yours and it'll tell you a bit about the steel. Mine was quite heavy and had quite aggressive proportions which I guess were the same as the Aerospace model. It was a really nice bike to ride. 27" wheels.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I will measure the seat post diameter when I next get the chance.

I can tell you the stickers were applied in a very shoddy fashion and not even straight. The paintwork is also peeling. It appears that it may have had an unofficial recondition of the frame. It may not even be a Viscount?

I posted more pics of it on here:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73853

Something else pointed out was that there were no lugs used on the bb so it may be easier to identify it by that.

cheers

Stu

Back