Carlton Criterium

Jarrv

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

Im after a little advice and maybe some help, ive just picked up a Carlton Criterium that im looking to restore and maybe respray.

It seems to be in pretty good condition mechanically, just a rounded crank on the nds.
The previous owner hadnt ridden it in over 20yrs :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Heres a few details.

WL900154 (S) stamped on the bottom of the frame (August 1979?)
73 stamped on the headtube
The bottom bracket has 1.37 x 24t Japan Tange KT, (so im guessing its its standard british)
Suntour VX Rear Derailleur, Suntour Power Shifters, 52/42 front ring
Raleigh Wiemann 610 Brakes
Rigida 27 x 1 ¼ Rims, with Hague Hubs (seem in good condition, slight buckle to rear)

My plan is to keep it as is for the majority of components, new saddle & bar tape are needed.
However i would like to strip it all down and get it resprayed/powder coated.

First question, if im going to respray i will have to remove the BB and as i havent done this before whats the best technique and tools?
Also would it be best to refurb or replace the BB?

To remove the BB, first remove the cranks (both sides(but you knew that, anyway, didn't you?)

The, at the NDS, use one of these: http://www.bikegoo.co.uk/product.php/49 ... tAoddyEAuQ
to undo the lock ring.

Then use one of these: http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... tAode3gAEQ
to undo the cup, or if you don't have one, and don't want to buy one, a pair of long nose pliers usually works. Undo until the bearing fall out, all over the floor and disappear under the fridge/workbench/cat. Pull out axle and put to one side. Turn frame over and put BB shell over a plastic box or tin and shake frame until all DS bearings fall out.

Then try to remove the DS cup.

Spend 3 hours seeing how many ways you can find to cut yourself whilst doing this. Eventually give up and grab the blowtorch (if you are going to repaint then no problem, if not stop here and get the LBS to do it). If repainting, light the blowtorch and apply heat all around the BB shell on the DS. An occasional tap with a hammer can help hear too, what you are trying to do is to break the corrosion. Once you get bored of doing this, grab some TF80, plusgas or the like and liberally spray the cup and shell (you are doing this outside, aren't you?) Mind you don't burn yourself.

Once it has cooled, find a large, heavy workbench and strong vice. Place the flats of the cup in the vice and close the jaws of the vice to grip the cup. Now use the frame as a lever to undo the cup, remembering that it is LH thread (so undo the opposite way). If it keeps slipping, try using a large bolt (M24 or so) and nut, put through the axle hole, to keep it from falling out of the vice.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, regarding the paint job it is quite pitted around the forks and chain stays but i agree i could just clean it up a little.

I will get a pick up the parts needed as i really want to use this as a learning experience as well as a restoration :)

tiermat":2usodpej said:
Spend 3 hours seeing how many ways you can find to cut yourself whilst doing this. Eventually give up and grab the blowtorch (if you are going to repaint then no problem, if not stop here and get the LBS to do it). If repainting, light the blowtorch and apply heat all around the BB shell on the DS. An occasional tap with a hammer can help hear too, what you are trying to do is to break the corrosion. Once you get bored of doing this, grab some TF80, plusgas or the like and liberally spray the cup and shell (you are doing this outside, aren't you?) Mind you don't burn yourself.

Good luck!

This was quite funny and boy have I been there done that.

One other option if the cups are still good you could just replace the spindle. Be careful to look for one from the same manufacturer and the same length as the current one. Also it should be stamped "68" for English BB width.

tiermat":2fn7bsd5 said:
Once it has cooled, find a large, heavy workbench and strong vice. Place the flats of the cup in the vice and close the jaws of the vice to grip the cup. Now use the frame as a lever to undo the cup, remembering that it is LH thread (so undo the opposite way). If it keeps slipping, try using a large bolt (M24 or so) and nut, put through the axle hole, to keep it from falling out of the vice.

+1 Maybe I've just been lucky, but using a vice has always worked for me without any heat. Although, it always takes some figuring out which way is clockwise to loosen once the frame is upside down and clamped in the vice :facepalm:

+1 On the leave the paint. Always hard to tell from one photo but the paint looks good to me :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You'll definitely need a crank puller and the pedal spanner is useful. I have a chain whip but never seem to have much call to use it. (Although I lend it to the wife now and then :)) A chain splitter will be useful and a pair of cone adjusting spanners if the wheel hubs are going to be rebuilt or need adjustment. A good pair of cable cutters, set of allen keys and 8/9/10/13/14/15mm spanners, a large adjustable spanner and a 14/15mm socket for the crank nuts or bolts. Check these though, lots of sockets have a thick wall and won't fit in the hole. Freewheel removal tool, depends on the type of freewheel and if you want to remove it :LOL: A spoke key will useful to true the rear wheel and get the buckle out. Probably a flat blade screwdriver to remove the brake levers, later levers have an allen key fitting.

That should give you all you need to strip it down, sometimes a full set of bike tools is better value if it has most of the above. For the relatively small cost I'd renew all the gear cables, brakes cables, chain, innertubes and tyres so its as good as new once you start riding.

Hi there dont mean to hijack the thread but I've just bought what I think is a Carlton Citerium, though the frame number, 130704, would seem to date it to between 1968-72, which seems rather early compared to most I can find online. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Many thanks

Attachments

• carl6.jpg
    carl6.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 780
  • carl3.jpg
    carl3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 780
Hi,
Also new to the forum. I bought a Carlton Criterium in Feb to restore. I know nothing about bike maintenance, so could probably learn from you.
Regarding the frame, I've actually just collected mine from Mercian in Derby today who have resprayed it over the last 8 weeks. A great job, but with bottle bosses and transfers it was £250!

I might be needing your advice when it comes to bottom brackets and head sets - please.

If you need Mercian details let me know. Great job, but a bit steep. I owned a CC in about 1980 when I bought it new for £135!

Back