Colnago when its not a Colnago?

marcheavecil

Retro Newbie
Im new to this forum but have been on LFGSS a few times and thought perhaps i could ask some of the forum members to educate and show there expertise on a recent purchase.
A few days ago a bike came up for sale on Gumtree, advertised as a "70's steel road bike", the picture showed a disassembled road bike with what looked like Colnago stickers, i asked the guy to confirm it but he hadnt heard of Colnago so i took a risk and checked it out... in a dark room... in a rush.... and i decided to buy it.
The asking price was £220, it came with all the parts, Campag hubs, pedals, setapost and mavic rims, dura ace rear mech, 600 front mech, brake, headset and 600 tricolour Brake levers, sora triple crank and a SA sakae bar/quill.

I figured this person didnt know what they had on their hands, but then myself and a friend inspected it in a room which had a light and realised quite quickly this was not a Colnago. The frame is very light and does seem to be in great nick, save the paint fading on the top tube and a load of chips. The stickers look to cheap and aren't lacquered into the frame in any places however the Columbus SLX tubing sticker is. (The head tube sticker looks as though its been placed on top of an older removed sticker which has even left some residue behind!?)

The lack of any usual Colnago markings on the seat stay, bottom bracket and other lugs is the clearest indicator. the bottom bracket does however read "EVEREST".

Checking online i found some lugs for sale at http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/EVEREST-IND.CO./
But checking the manufacturing company's website seems there is little information of individual parts etc, also the company is based in Taiwan, not Italy or any other part of Europe. The Forks read Hall on the crown and again state there Columbus heritage.

So these parts i think im aware of, however i would love anyone to get in touch and let me know if this frame is legitimately Columbus. If its reputably any good? (as im looking for a decent steel frame to replace my Vitus 979) Also what ideas would any of the forum users think i could rebuild this bike into?

Im not to bothered that its not a Colnago as beside having a nice light stiff frame and a bucket of parts i can use on other projects i think the asking price is ok.

Attachments

• fakenolgo.jpg
    fakenolgo.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • edited head badge.jpg
    edited head badge.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,108
  • bbedit.jpg
    bbedit.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,108
  • forkscrown.jpg
    forkscrown.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,108
  • seatbracket.jpg
    seatbracket.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,107
  • downtube bb.jpg
    downtube bb.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,107
  • headtube side.jpg
    headtube side.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,107
Yes i agree it does seem the same forks. I did google Harry Hall but it only went to their main retail shop.

It did seem a little dodgy compared to other bike transactions. If it was bent and any one came forward who was missing this bike i can provide the bike, sellers name and address to them and the police. I also got them to sign a note of sale. The that acquired it meddles around with bikes but nothing classic and the bike has the appearance of being neglected for quite some time.

Colnago and other brand decals were commonly available late 80's/early 90's and lots of them got stuck on all sorts of frames. If this is a Harry Hall as it appears to be then you've still got a reasonable buy with the components that are fitted. Perhaps a bit more than at a jumble but still OK. HH frames of this era are well respected.

Everest is probably the maker of the BB shell.

Greetings

The frame appears to be well made so that is a good sign. After looking at a handful of Harry Hall frames I did find one from 1990 that has very similar lug work and seatstay caps. Is the Harry Hall Cycles bike shop the same company as before? if so send them that serial number and see if anyone there can shed light on the origin of the frame.

Steven

My 2p - has Columbus tubing rifleing? Why do i think it has?

No doubt someone here can advise. And they may know how to spell rifling (still does not look right)

Richard

Yes if it's Columbus SLX there should be helical reinforcements inside the tubes around the bracket. Either remove seatpin and shine a light down there or remove bottom bracket and feel around in there. If the reinforcements aren't there, it doesn't mean it's not Columbus, but it's not Columbus SLX. This looks like a quality frame... a framebuilder can't think of using shortpoint lugs like that without making a stab at mitreing the tubes properly. Plus chrome rear triangle probably wouldn't be found on any old bike... To be fair to the seller, it doesn't sound like they were passing this off as a Colnago, but they obviously knew enough to charge hundreds for a tatty bike with a rusty chain, if you get my drift? If it's all cleanable and serviceable, then fair enough... and I doubt many of us could tell it from a period Colnago anyway as far as ride goes..

torqueless":ct0pcgok said:
a framebuilder can't think of using shortpoint lugs like that without making a stab at mitreing the tubes properly.

Nice piece of information there

I don't have much inside dope on framebuilding.. I'm extrapolating. My pessimist's hat must be at a jaunty angle today. I could pull it down over my ears and preface the words you quoted, with; "One hopes"... ;)

Thanks a lot guys. Im glad that i posted it up here now. Getting lots of clues as to whats going on with the bike. Ill have a look inside the tubing at the weekend and see if i can also find a serial number on the bike. I thought id find it on the underside of the BB but doesnt seem so... Some of the parts on the bike have helped to complete groupsets for me, such as the Tricolour brake levers, and the campag wheels and seat post will go to my collection nicely.
I dont really get why bike companies would let you replicate there own imagery onto a 3rd party bike? I mean obviously its free advertising and a bit more money for them, but its like labeling a peugeot as a porsche... :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back