SA 3 speed trad lever on straight bars

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Anyone ever fitted a Sturmey Archer 3 speed thumbshifter (traditional style) to a straight bar? Works fine but the lever sits very close to the bar when in 1st. Ideally the modern thumbshifter type would be better but if I can adapt the original bracket so the shifter fits above the bar that would be fine. If not I'm sure it'll be alright....

I usually fitted them a little more inboard of the bend so that the lever stuck out a bit more from the bars, usualy meant that to get from 3rd to 2nd you had to take your hand off the bars a bit unless you had huge fingers. If the trigger is fitted on a straight bit right next to the grip the trigger usually came to rest on the grip in 1st.

Is that what you meant?

Shaun

Yes it is Shaun. Without resorting to buying a thumbshifter I wondered if there is a way to modify the trigger band so that the lever fits slightly above the bar?

Yes I 'm thinking that perhaps if I use low riser bars like those in the pic I may get away with just moving the lever to the bend but on the straight bars I'm using at the moment there is no bend at all. Thanks for your input :)

Hmm, can see the tricky problem :) Some of the later 3 speed triggers had a shorter range of movement which might help.....

My old Morris 1100 had a gearstick that moved a foot each way to change gear but not like that now.

Shaun

Back