Puncture Repair Kits

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

Any recommenadtions for puncture repair kits - it appears that my 26 yr old one is not on great condition. Hints and tips always appreciated - especially regarding the CO2 canisters.

Richard

Never used C02 and would be interested to here reviews.

I can tell you though that todays puncture repair kits are much more user friendly, no messy glue just peel and stick. Simple.

Hey Tel,

Should you not be busy with you mop :D

Another product for you to sell perhaps? Nice logo on it perhaps?

Richard

Tel":18o2rfo1 said:
Never used C02 and would be interested to here reviews.

I can tell you though that todays puncture repair kits are much more user friendly, no messy glue just peel and stick. Simple.

CO2 cartridges are for bone idle people! Use a friggin pump...lol

I've found using these peel & stick patch's fine for pressures up to 70psi but at 100+psi the patch eventually leaks and blows off :(

TESCO's do a little puncture repair kit at just a quid, i'm happy with them.

I agree, the peel and stick I've used have always failed, even just at a simple mtb bike pressure.

Also, the CO2 are not a sustainable thing for our world, plus you kinda need to carry a pump as well. Just get a good pump. If you're racing and need the speed of a CO2 it may be a little more justifiable, but if you haven't had a flat in 26 years, I think you're doin pretty good ;)

even the cheapest of glue based patches do seem to work fine as long as you do it correctly!!

Regarding CO2 cartridges ! I remember when they first came out in the 80's and god was I excited
no more frame-fit pump for me, so got a cartridge and never fitted the pump again, I used to carry
this tiny gas bottle everywhere I went and FINALLY after a year I got myself a puncture, So excited
I got the spare tub' out and changed the tub's, frantically/scrambling for this bottle I attached it to
the valve and my excitement turned to anger as i went ''hisssssssss'' and stopped within a second.

Cyril at A&C Sports said the cartridges will loose gas pressure after a few month's, I wished I'd known :facepalm:

Nice five mile walk I had :?

:( Didn't know that about C02 pumps either (they were out before the 80's, my 1964 Gillott has a C02 braze on for one). Give them a miss then I think, those mini hp pumps can be very effective anyway. Do people still use frame fit pumps?

I've had plenty of success with the stick on patches, well when I say plenty I've probably only used them a couple of times and it wasn't on a racing bike. Last thing I want it is to have my inner tube blowing off!

Mental note stock traditional puncture repair kits and plenty of spare innertubes....

Tel,

Forget about mental notes - write it down in a book!!! Keep all your notes in the book and you will not forget anything. I do this!!

Richard

I tend to carry a small pump mounted next to my bottle cage on the down tube. Patches I've had for the last few years have been the stick on ones made by Parktool. I've only had to use them once I think and it stuck instantly and inflated to 90/100psi and never leaked.
Think I bought them from CRC from memory, little pack of six for about £4 or so.
Nothing beats a nice looking frame pump on the right style frame. I seen a lovely a lovely bike on readers rides with a nice blue Silca Solero, really caught my eye, so I went looking for one. Lots of looking later I found one, literally one, it was going for £160! Oh well I'll just stick with the 2 black ones in the spares box :)

Jamie

Back