Mystery Frame 1989 753

citrixccea

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I've had this bike for a few years now - since 1991 I think, and I've never known what it really is.

What do I know about it - well the Raleigh Banana livery looks a bit home made, with electrical tape used quite effectively for the stripes. There's no Raleigh Head badge, and no sign of there ever being one ? I bought it from a friend, who told me it was 753, and it always felt like it was, even though again it's unbadged. The groupset is of course Campagnolo Corsa Record, with the delta's - the only exceptions being the shifters which I think are simplex and non-indexed, and the rear q/r which is from a Tacx trainer (doh!). Brakes are continental setup, and my friend did use to race in Italy, which may be a clue ?

Fully Cinneli lugged it also has the race number mount on the top tube.

It's not for sale, but as this bike has done me sterling service for many years, I thought I might treat it to a re-spray.

Markings on the bottom bracket at "SB9057" and "D.R. 60 1 89"

I paid £600 for it, and I don't think it owes me a penny - well used, and still a buzz to ride.

If you guys can't positively identify it, I'll gladly take suggestions as to a fitting livery for this period

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,399
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,396
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,396
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,397
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,397
SB is the Special Bikes division of Raleigh, the other stampings usually refer to the owner of the bike...Roadking will know more than me

Nice :D

Shaun

Thanks for your replies guys - it does indeed look like one of Dave Rayner's bikes, I'll take some guidance on how I should revert back to a '89 spec. By the looks of it, the major work is handlebar tape, removing the computer and changing black hoods to white. That and some Banana stickers on the top tube!

F%%k Me I can's believe what i'm seeing. I'm not sure if your quite aware of the value and provenance of the bike you own! You have the jewel in the crown of Raleigh banana bikes. A 89 team issue 753 with C Record. I would give bottom bracket to own that bike! I own Dave's 88 bike it's stamped DR 1 88 (the bike in the photo below). This is also a 753 frame but the seat stays are not shot in like on yours and it was issued with Dura Ace Groupset. Your bike looks as if it is the same size as mine and shares the same unusual geometry. Please please restore it lots of advice on these pages.

Thanks Tim - you're right I didn't know, and now I do rest assured it's an opportunity not to be missed. Thanks for the pics, your bike looks stunning - and I hope I can get mine to the same level of finish.

I guess the first (of many) questions is how the stripes are on your bike - are they painted, or like mine are they simply taped on ?

Clearly I'm not going to apply any other livery to it now - but I would like some guidance on whether it should be professionally re-sprayed ?

When I have a few minutes, I'll detail the exact specification, and invite comments on which components are period correct.

Thanks

Martin

Back