* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Crazy talk
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:24 pm 
Retro Guru

fiks wrote:
markyp wrote:
there!......modern kit on retro frame?

To me, that's a modern bike.

Any steel frame (even if it's old and/or has a horizontal top tube) fitted with all modern parts is a modern bike.

Each to their own. IMHO the bike's retro as opposed to vintage. (Sorry I've got my pedant head on) :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

markyp wrote:
there!......modern kit on retro frame?

My word that's nice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

The consensus seems to be "go for it". So as a Libran I dare say I'll procrastinate some more, possibly even pausing to consider a carbon wonder bike before more than likely proceeding to do bugger all

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 am 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
ededwards wrote:
Been ruminating. I have plenty of bikes in the shed with period builds, 42t small ring and 12-25 freewheels. I can mostly gurn up UK hills but this sort of set up isn't exactly knee friendly in France or Italy. So why not introduce some versatility into the shed and fit a modern groupset to an older frame to give a compact and a more generous cassette? I almost shudder as I type, but possibly the clean lines of Sram Force or Rival on a Master?

Surely crazy talk. Or is it?

Who says you need to go modern for compact components? My tourer runs a 46/36 double (Sugino/Ritchey MTB chainset minus granny ring) with 13-30 7sp Sunrace cassette on the back and a Sachs Centera short-arm derailleur. Even with plenty of luggage on tackling hills isn't too draining a task.

If you want a modern compact chainset that has a "classic" look, Stronglight's square-taper Impact series (available in a wide variety of ring combos across double & triple formats) is worth a punt.

David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

David, you're absolutely right about not needing to go modern for a compact set up - I rode in the Pyrennes in 2006 with a bodged White Industries 'compact' (like you above, a MTB chainset minus granny ring) with a Dura Ace EX rear mech and Mavic Aksiums with a 12-28t 9 speed cassette on a Surly Crosscheck - a proper lash up even by my maverick standards! I then repeated the same approach in the Gran Fondo Campagnolo the following year but using a Corsa Extra (now John's) with the same mech and chainset but with more traditionally spoked wheels. In both cases the bike/set up wasn't the limiting factor.

The Impact would definitely be in the frame if going for a traditional look, really good value too. But a part of me thinks that perhaps I should try a modern groupset but preferably one with generally sympathetic lines hence the mention of Sram.

Prevarication is definitely the order of the day but the following is kind of appealing:
- frame currently owned (most likely Colnago Master or Zullo SLX)
- Sram Rival/Force groupset (possibly with the Impact chainset or a Campag square taper alloy unit as a variant)
- Cinelli quill stem and Cinelli bar
- Campag alloy aero post with Rolls
- traditionally spoked wheels, perhaps Hewitt or Pete Matthews with some amber walled tyres (being a biffer, probably Paselas or Gatorskins although the latter aren't really amber walled)

The associated cost would be groupset plus wheels but the C Record currently fitted to the Master (including Deltas) would offset quite a bit although it's perhaps less about cost than injecting a bit ore variety into the shed.

I'm in two minds but neither of them are my own.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 am 
Retro Guru

This could give you 34 x 27t lowest...plus the silver finish lends itself to a retro frame 8)

Attachments:
athena11_alloy_groupmed.jpg
athena11_alloy_groupmed.jpg [ 215.33 KiB | Viewed 48 times ]