Crazy talk

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Been ruminating. I have plenty of bikes in the shed with period builds, 42t small ring and 12-25 freewheels. I can mostly gurn up UK hills but this sort of set up isn't exactly knee friendly in France or Italy. So why not introduce some versatility into the shed and fit a modern groupset to an older frame to give a compact and a more generous cassette? I almost shudder as I type, but possibly the clean lines of Sram Force or Rival on a Master?

Surely crazy talk. Or is it?

Well, maybe one with modern gears. I am in the first stages of ruminating over a NEW bike. and components are obviously a big part of the decision. Not sure if it would be Sram though. I think the rear mechs look as if they have already been into the spokes at least once.

I am also stuck with what ratios to go for. As I'm old and fat compact seem to be the way forward. However, 34/50 and 12-28 seems to be derigeur. I'm not sure I'm that old or fat. They look more like tractor gears to me. Around here I can easily cope with 12-23 and hardly ever need first gear. I know where you live is steeper (man do I know!) but your style is definitely suited to muscling up the hills.

Maybe try the ratios with old kit and if you like them then go for it. You'll get a good idea although with fewer sprockets the jumps between gears will be bigger. Although EdEdwards on a compact will be a bit like watching Eddy Merckx pushing up the hills.

to be fair Ed some of your frames are timeless , so a modern groupset would not be too disrespectful .
the only thing which would look out of place would the chainset , derailleurs and other bits look ok .

I am running 10 speed on the modern cross bike and it is great , bit of a shock when i am back on the 6 gear Peugeot with shifters on the frame .

Dunno what you think but......what about longer cranks?
I use 165mm and use lower gears...I can't push a gear (Gospel pass...39x24....overgeared!)
The other option is to go Campag Victory...with a 116bcd(?) you may be able to get a 36tooth inner?
For the later Gospel Pass ride that I had to miss...I'd prepared a 14-28tooth cassette.
In the Alpes I used 34x28....bliss!!

Good to hear that it's not a completely crazy idea that should automatically be dismissed out of hand. Agree about the clashing looks of modern chainsets, I guess I could always go with a square taper Campag or Stronglight alloy compact.

Iwasgoodonce":3i5b9mjf said:
Although EdEdwards on a compact will be a bit like watching Eddy Merckx pushing up the hills.

I rode a compact chainset in the Pyrennes, French and Italian Alps and am not averse to the odd stroll if the circumstances dictate so wouldn't be all that strange. Liking the Merckx comparison, obviously.

markyp":3i5b9mjf said:
Dunno what you think but......what about longer cranks?
I use 165mm and use lower gears...I can't push a gear (Gospel pass...39x24....overgeared!)
The other option is to go Campag Victory...with a 116bcd(?) you may be able to get a 36tooth inner?
For the later Gospel Pass ride that I had to miss...I'd prepared a 14-28tooth cassette.
In the Alpes I used 34x28....bliss!!

I do have long cranks but don't think that's enough of a solution on the 20+km continental climbs (plus can the old school mechs cope with a bigger freewheel? Often not).

I'm running 39/52 x 14/28 on Shimano Tricolor. You can run 39tooth on 135BCD Campag.

Go on....go carbon! (my other bike's a Giant TCR)

markyp":1v0559fi said:
I'm running 39/52 x 14/28 on Shimano Tricolor. You can run 39tooth on 135BCD Campag.

I ran a 12/28 cassette on Tricolor when I first built up my Raleigh, but no matter what I did with the B screw, the rear mech clashed slightly with the cassette on one of the larger gears. A change to a more modern Ultegra rear mech sorted that, and strictly speaking made the bike more 'correct'.

As for the general idea of fitting modern components to retro frames.... why not?

I find the whole idea of slavishly sticking to correct chainsets and components, down to the last nut, bolt and fixing utterly bizarre. If I were restoring a significant bike then that's a different matter, I have restored motorcycles and cars in the past, and spent hours hunting out the right switch or light or door panel etc. But in the case of a practical ride-able bicycle, what is the big deal with fitting modern components?

As for what components; whatever suits the style of your build or does the job you want. I like SRAM, I use it on most of my bikes (mtb or road), as it's available, relatively cheap and practical.

I'm running 38-48 rings on my Sonic on standard roadie pattern cranks a la CX :D
12-26 Dura ace 8 speed cassette on the rear still finds me huffing and puffing a bit but i've not had to push yet :LOL:
10 speed cassette and downtube shifters on friction should work :D

Back