Indexing 6-speed screw-on freewheel / Uniglide compatibility

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
I've currently got a bike with a 6-speed indexed Uniglide cassette at the back. It's a bit worn out and Uniglide stuff is getting expensive and hard to find. I had considered using the gears off a new 7-speed Uniglide cassette from SJS Cycles with the spacers off my 6-speed, but I can't get the ratios I want and the freewheel ratchet is on its way out as well.

Say I built a nice pair of wheels with a 6-speed screw-on freewheel, which can still be got anywhere. Is the gear spacing the same as on a 6-speed Uniglide cassette or will I have trouble with the indexed shifters shifting the chain to the wrong positions?

Re: Indexing 6-speed screw-on freewheel / Uniglide compatibi

Sprocket spacing is the same. In fact 7 speed sprocket thickness is different from 6 speed sprocket thickness I think so some indexing error will acculate with your plan.

My own stock of UG cassettes are depleting fast. One guy bought 4 today, I don't blame him either. They are hard to find. You could just fit a 7 speed HG freehub body. These can still be had new which reminds me I need to get some more.

Re: Indexing 6-speed screw-on freewheel / Uniglide compatibi

Ok well that's good to know. I've seen your UG bits on eBay too. I missed the last lot so it's good to see you'd put a few more up!

Back