Does anyone really think this is a Vitus Carbone?

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
Hi All
Trying to do my bit for exposing things that are not quite as they seem. I saw this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cadre-de-velo ... Cyclisme_Vélos&hash=item4d0a00adea

First impression was that it was a carbone or carbon/kevlar. Only 2 pictures were shown. A few messages assured me that this was the case. Then I asked about the rear cable guides not being visible on the top tube, first message was that they had fallen off, ok, then 12hrs later he messaged again saying that it was internal routing through the top tube. Then the alarm bells rang, after a long search through google images I couldnt find one vitus carbon with internal routing , so i messaged back saying that and could he supply more pictures which he did. The one below clearly shows it to be painted unless Im blind. Also someone has drilled the frame to route the cable (very dangerous!) I think either the chap knows this or most probably is not aware of this as its not in his possession. Thought I should share as these frames are sought after and could have been a bad purchase. Tell me I haven't got this wrong

Attachments

• Vitus .jpg
    Vitus .jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 778
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looks like an all aluminium frame that someone has attacked with a Black and Decker...........

Shaun

Glad its not just me! Maybe the pantographing demon who destroys those campag bits and paints them could buy it to practice on it!

That looks very similar, did Vitus make an internal rear brake carbone? Problem with the one I saw was the exposed metal.

it looks like 992 style cable routing on a 797 style frame , if not home done maybe it was a prototype ???

the little round circle on the side of the heat tube and the seat lug cluster all look very "vitus" , Its undoubtedly been painted with red tinted clear paint , the section that looks silver next to the head tube "cable hole" is interesting

Attachments

• IMG_20121206_122219.jpg
    IMG_20121206_122219.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 705
Many thanks it appears the routing is genuine. One question remains, is this frame all aluminium or carbon?

I assume it is carbon with a red tinted clear coat (which also appears to be bubbling in places ) I am perplexed by the silver section on the top tube (circled) and would like to see the top tube where the cable guides may have originally been ?

Attachments

• Vitus%20.jpg
    Vitus%20.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 675
Back