Ciclisport / Pinarello and something more modern

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I recently went to a cycle shop called 'Ciclisport - life behind bars' in Moneymore, Northern Ireland. The owner/s are a guy called John Smyth and his son called Jonathan Smyth. They sell Specialized and Giant bikes and a load of high quality kit. On the walls are a few older bikes which belonged to John's father - Tommy Smyth. Pics are below. On the day i was there Stephen Roche was there to open their new fitting room and attend two charity functions for a cancer charity, i got my pic taken with Stephen and this made my day!!!

Tommy Smyth holds the record for travelling from the southern most point of Ireland (might be called Mizzen Head) to the northern most pair - Fair Head on a tandem. The record was set in 1953 and still stands. Pics of the bike - a Rensch, are below - and i believe that the tandem might be a bit older than that.

I had a great day out and i am sure if you happen to be passing through - John will give you the tour of the bikes and memorabilia etc in the showroom. He might even sell you an S-Works for £7200!!!

The record breaking tandem -

IMGP2241_zpsb7db77cd.jpg

IMGP2242_zps71dad204.jpg

IMGP2244_zpsde4975e3.jpg

IMGP2247_zps97f71103.jpg

A priceless Pinarello tandem -

IMGP2232_zps08c772fc.jpg

IMGP2234_zpsb0aa1291.jpg

IMGP2254_zps19d6f428.jpg

Re: Some interesting pics - drool!!

More pics -

Pinarello TT bike -

IMGP2237_zpsfc93ada4.jpg

IMGP2238_zpsc0665b02.jpg

IMGP2240_zps909a131a.jpg

Something more modern - Alexander Vinokourov's Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 which won the gold medal in the road race at the Olymipcs - a light bike!!

IMGP2231_zps3da34e91.jpg

Specialized S-Works McLaren (same as Mark Cavandish's)

IMGP2230_zpsd5531eca.jpg

The great Mr Roche and me -

IMGP2258_zps6aa3e594.jpg

There are a few more pics here, if you are interested -

http://s1290.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 9957805965

Thanks all,

Richard

As a matter of interest, has anyone had the Specialized fitting service done? You get examined by a physiotherapist before you go on the bike. They then video you from all directions and adjust the bike where necessary. You are provided with this video and i presume relevant measurements at the end. I think the cost is £150.

Some excellent photographs there. I am fascinated with the gears on that first tandem. I am thinking of getting properly fitted. Adrian Timmis offers it not too far from here. Can't comment on the Specialized one but I think Adrian sets great store in setting your shoes up properly, amongst othe things.

HI,

I think they are earlier than 1953, i have read a book called the Dancing Chain and i think they are 1940's gears - they work on a sort of pulley system - one cable pulls them in and the other pulls them out; oh and they still work!! Will911 helped setting those gears up (although i expect not originally LMAO!!!!) and apparently it was difficult to do as the cables need to be exactly the right length to work. I think that is you pumped the tyres up all the bikes would ride.

I like the idea of getting set up on a bike and if it works you have the measurements forever. I think in the past, the bikes were set ut but the measurements were kept somewhat secret so you had to return to the particular dealer for your next bike - i could be wrong about that.

Wow you sure have tidied up your garage Richard and got yourself some fine bikes too :) Got yourself a new riding partner as well....

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Back