Raleigh Campagnolo Gran Sport BB???

Logan1475

Dirt Disciple
Hi anyone and everyone,

I haven't used the forums too much so far so please forgive any faux paus or whatever.

I recently bought a Raleigh Campagnolo Gran Sport, 1983 I think or there abouts. I knew on buying it that it was in a bit of a state but it is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare.

Firstly the seat post is stuck, and yes have looked at Sheldon browns advice and have tried the freezing the seat post to shrink it, pouring boiling water on the seat tube to expand it, and removing the BB and turning upside down and spraying a lot of GT 85 and WD 40 down the seat tube, this is the stage Im at now and am going to see if that will work its way in over the next few days (although not feeling to optimistic). Any views on this are welcome.

Secondly the bottom bracket cup on the none drive side is corroded along with the axle. Im looking for a reasonably priced (say less than £40) replacement as am not willing to pay silly money on ebay for the same one which I believe is the same or is a Camapgnolo Record? though could be wrong on this. Anyway the axle is 115.5mm and cups are english thread 1370 x 24 tpi, axle has 70 - SS on it. I think the taper is JIS, but anyone who knows different please let me know.

If anyone can reccomend a replacement that will work I would for ever indebted or at least very grateful.

Look forward to hearing your views

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0534 smaller.jpg
    DSC_0534 smaller.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC_0535 smaller BB.jpg
    DSC_0535 smaller BB.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 494
Hi,

To give you the benefit of the little knowledge i have -

check on Velobase for the right BB you require - link is at the top of the page
Check CRC or similar for a BB with the same characteristics

I replaced a cup and cone BB with a cartridge recently and will be doing the same soon on my next build.

Cost of the new BB is around £11 - £15 but there are plenty to chose from which are more expensive. I am presuming that weight may affect price.

No doubt, there will be other RBers who can provide better advice.

Regards,

Richard

I'm very surprised to see that axle fitted into an English threaded BB as the "70 - SS" is an Italian BB axle. An English BB should have a "68 - SS" axle. No expert but this may have added to the corrosion/wear on the non-drive side?

As stated by TGR, unless you are a real stickley for originality or tradition, probably best to upgrade to a more modern Cartridge BB. Tifosi do a Campagnolo compatible Carbon BB which is readily available on Ebay for about £25. Pretty certain you'd need the 102mm width one for your application.

There are a few threads here that deal with stuck seat posts. A bit of searching should find them. If I remember as a last resort it may be worth carefully sawing a vertical slot from the inside of the seat post to the outside using a hacksaw blade, as this seems to work. Best to find the thread for full details.

Steve.

Just another bit of info, i would take advice regarding the threads etc as i recently had a problem where i was able to screw an English freewheel onto an Italian hub, easy to get on - removing was a different story.

The BB Cups pictured are definitely British (1.370" X 24 tpi) cups so I would assume that the frame's BB shell is also British threaded rather than Italian.

The easiest test is to ensure that the drive side non-adjustable cup screws in left-handed i.e anti-clockwise, as an Italian threaded BB drive side cup screws in right-handed.

If it's a Raleigh GS then definitely British threadings and BB shell 68mm spacings. The bike should have a full Campagnolo Gran Sport groupset fitted which is a 'standard' Campagnolo axle length and NOT JIS taper which is for Shimano etc. I think 102 would be to short, think more in the 113/115mm length which is standard for Campag Record etc. of the era. However, Velobase states 120mm for the GS crankset? To me, this is to long. Surely the GS cranks are virtually physically identical to Record ones?

Apologies, of course, as Old Ned says, 102mm is two short for a Campag Double Chainset. My friend uses the Tifosi 111m Carbon BB with great success on Nuovo Record and Super Record Doubles.

Not tried with GS Cranksets, but as Old Ned states, you would assume them to be the same.

Wow, thanks everyone for your contributions. The bike did indeed come with a full Campy Gran Sport groupset and the comments regarding the axle width i.e should be 68 not 70 fit, and as suggested probably contributed to the wear within the drive side cup.

I saw the Tifosi BB on CRC but was not sure as the axle length was different and was unsure of the JIS, ISO Campy specific fitting dilema. I will perhaps give this a try.

Back in 1978 when the "latest" Campag GS set was launched as a group for manufacturers (Viking was the first with the new Severn Valley IIRC) it was virtually indistinguishable from NR at more than a few feet.

It used all the same tools and AFAIK the BB's were interchangeable too. 111-113 will suit depending on the rear triangle length and dent in the chainstay. As it's not an ultrashort wheelbase then a 111 would be OK :)

Shaun

Hi and thanks again for all the replies and priceless info.

Ive ordered a Tifosi BB 111mm thread from Wiggle. I will let you all know how it goes!

Now have to work out how to get the seat post out!

Back