Does anyone know much about Selbachs?

Pierre

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
IMG_1870_zps10fd52b2.jpg

I've just bought this lovely old bike, along with a quirky few others, from one of my customers. Neither he nor I know very much about the builder except what we could glean from the page on Classic Lightweights, that the bike was probably built in the 1930s or possibly early 1940s in or around Kennington, London. He knows that this frame and forks were repainted by Young's of Lewisham in the mid-60s but we don't know what colour it was originally, or whether it had a model name.

It's a lovely old machine - surprisingly light - and I'm hoping to restore it a little, to make it rideable again. It's not in bad repair, the Resilion brakes are working well (but could do with new blocks), the bearings all seem to be moving OK but I haven't had chance to check whether the seatpost and stem are moving. The Bluemels mudguards could do with a bit of a straighten and the leather saddle probably needs some Proofide but otherwise it's all pretty straight!

I'd value any information you could offer...

Hi, nice bike, it does look the business, I'm afraid there's not a lot around on this subject matter, the VCC does have some marque experts that could help, are you a member, do you know a member ? The bike does have that lovely Selbach fork sweep, but my only question is on the headtube lugs, usually ( please be aware I've not an expert or seen that many ) they are cut away for the transfer to fit, I can't really see from the photo. A good example can be found at http://davidsbicycles.wordpress.com/1934-selbach-improved-taper-tube-model/. Terry

Thanks OldTel, that's a great link - lots of useful information. I'm not near the bike at the moment but will check and take more photos (and possibly some tube measurements) tonight and report back. I'll get in touch with the VCC too... thanks!

My best guess is 1935/7. There was a mid 30's fashion for shallow angles and small frames, maurice Selback was a leading frame builder. There could be a date on the williams chainset. If that's an Adie bell they sell for a fortune in the US.
There could be a makers name on the cast lug set, such as Chater-Lea or Brampton?

Back