Mafac brake shoe sizing

AlHodkinson

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I'm still on my quest to find a set of replacement brake shoes for my Mafac Top63 centre-pulls, at an affordable price :D The Top 63 takes a 6mm diameter stud which is threaded at the end. I have seen copies of other Mafac brake shoes (e.g. for the Racer) which are v similar in shape but aren't threaded, these seem to be much more available; I have access to a set of dies and it's struck me that I could just tap a thread onto the stud.
However when I looked at modern cantilever brake shoes the stud is more like 7mm diameter so won't fit through the slot in the caliper arm. So my question is does anybody know what diameter/length the stud would be for a non-threaded Mafac shoe, is it still ~7mm?

If I went less retro and fitted a modern brake shoe then I could just use a V-brake shoe, I've tried this out and as long as the mounting to pad face is about 14mm then it will work (and might even give better braking performance!).

Thanks for any help people can give.

Hi,
The MAFAC-branded shoes on my Dural Forge (similar to Racer) brakes have a stud which is 7mm in diameter and 23mm long.
Sorry if this is bad news!
Chris Hughes.

Back