Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:15 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, so I spoke to the member 'Spibblo' and he directed me here.

I've bought a frame from an online friend, but he's not posting until next week.

I was wondering if anybody can I.D this frame from the pictures? I've heard people mention Pongo put holes in the lugs which I can see from these pictures.

Any info would be appreciated from you i.e model, tubing etc.

(forgive the grotesque paintwork, that's how my friend painted it when he was going to use it)

Last edited by Psyclist on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

AFAIK he never marked his frames, however it looks a bit relaxed to be a TT frame, the chainstay bridge is still there which he often missed out. the lugs are drilled but he often filed them very thin.

Ian Raleigh on here has probably seen more AENDE frames than me though.

Are there any numbers on it anywhere, has the BB underside been chopped away / slotted?

Shaun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Midlife wrote:
AFAIK he never marked his frames, however it looks a bit relaxed to be a TT frame, the chainstay bridge is still there which he often missed out. the lugs are drilled but he often filed them very thin.

Ian Raleigh on here has probably seen more AENDE frames than me though.

Are there any numbers on it anywhere, has the BB underside been chopped away / slotted?

Shaun

Cheers Shaun. I'll find out by next week as the guy will have posted it by then. I'll add pictures and close ups when I get it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:02 pm 
Retro Guru

keep the paintwork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
heard people mention Pongo put holes in the lugs

Pongo drilled holes, but I can't quite tell from your photos if this is three seperate holes, or a trefoil, which is a bit different.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39323768@N04/5343997213/in/photostream/
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/files/images/1253622984-6387c.jpg

I notice this frame has non-tube-invasive bottle-cage bosses, which don't seem that common. Stan Pike seems to have used them, as in the link, but the seatstay/seatlug treatment is different.. I'm never quite sure which is 'fastback' and which is 'shot-in', but whichever is which, the one in the link is the other one to whatever this one is... This one is similar to Aende, but AFAIK Aende usually have the stays brazed directly to the tube rather than onto an extended seatlug as in your pics....http://www.flickr.com/photos/smallwheelsociety/6153612518/in/photostream/
AFAICT this frame seems to share many features with a late '70s/early 80s Mercian Strada Speciale..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 pm 
Dirt Disciple

biggs682 wrote:
keep the paintwork

:lol: Martin I think it's like an acid trip.

torqueless wrote:
Quote:
heard people mention Pongo put holes in the lugs

Pongo drilled holes, but I can't quite tell from your photos if this is three seperate holes, or a trefoil, which is a bit different.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39323768@N04/5343997213/in/photostream/
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/files/images/1253622984-6387c.jpg

I notice this frame has non-tube-invasive bottle-cage bosses, which don't seem that common. Stan Pike seems to have used them, as in the link, but the seatstay/seatlug treatment is different.. I'm never quite sure which is 'fastback' and which is 'shot-in', but whichever is which, the one in the link is the other one to whatever this one is... This one is similar to Aende, but AFAIK Aende usually have the stays brazed directly to the tube rather than onto an extended seatlug as in your pics....http://www.flickr.com/photos/smallwheelsociety/6153612518/in/photostream/
AFAICT this frame seems to share many features with a late '70s/early 80s Mercian Strada Speciale..

Thanks for the info torqueless. I should receive the frame by Thursday. When I take pictures, which parts of the frame should I take to help identify it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:40 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
which parts of the frame should I take to help identify it?

Lugs, seatstay bridge, braze-ons, bottom bracket, especially underside where there may be a serial number, (or a cut-out, or both), dropouts... anything that's not just a tube, really!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice Campag headset... once you've got the paint off.

Have the DTS braze-ons been removed? I can't see a pip to hold a band-on pair in place.

Looking at the clearances, you might think it was a tourer, but there are no mudguard eyelets, so perhaps it originally had 27" wheels?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
Looking at the clearances, you might think it was a tourer, but there are no mudguard eyelets, so perhaps it originally had 27" wheels?
Have a look at the pictures on the other thread... I assume it's the same frame
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=243766
IMO if anyone feels that this frame is 'long', or 'relaxed' it looks that way either because it's quite a small size, i.e. seat-tube/head-tube length, or because you're comparing it with an SWB Aende pure TT bike..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Yup, it's the same frame, that's how it looked before my friend painted it.