Which 80's Raleigh is this on e-bay ?

Midlife

Retro Wizard
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If it's one of the frames in that brochure, then it does look like the 501 model (501 main tubes only!) because of the semi-sloping fork crown.

IMO the starting price is too high for a low end frame.

I think it's a 531C frame with 501 forks. If you look at the drop outs there is a chain peg (Used so you can attach the chain to the peg and make taking your wheel out easier) the rear triangle looks quite detailed and the drop outs have wheel adjusters on them. Chain pegs and wheel adjusters were only fitted to more expensive models. My guess is the forks got damaged at some point new cheap ones were fitted and it was resprayed.

Raleigh Lightweight did make 501 frames and they had dropout screws and chain hangers - so it could be 531, could be 501.

TimColnago":2zhwde97 said:
I think it's a 531C frame with 501 forks. If you look at the drop outs there is a chain peg (Used so you can attach the chain to the peg and make taking your wheel out easier) the rear triangle looks quite detailed and the drop outs have wheel adjusters on them. Chain pegs and wheel adjusters were only fitted to more expensive models. My guess is the forks got damaged at some point new cheap ones were fitted and it was resprayed.

If you look at the "501 Race" (actually only 501 main tubes) frame in the brochure, you can just about see the glint of the dropout adjusters (it helps to save the pic and enlarge it haha). It also says it has the full range of braze-ons and variable geometry.

If it had a BIN and he delivered I'd buy it simply to work out what it was, just to get it out of the way of my e-bay search for a 70's Professional frame :) less than a tank of petrol :)

Anybody nearby to collect and send for a retrobiker.

not a huge e-bayer but is there a place where I can contact him / her and offer to get it collected?

Shaun

Midlife":3g1tspwe said:
If it had a BIN and he delivered I'd buy it simply to work out what it was, just to get it out of the way of my e-bay search for a 70's Professional frame :) less than a tank of petrol :)

Anybody nearby to collect and send for a retrobiker.

not a huge e-bayer but is there a place where I can contact him / her and offer to get it collected?

Shaun
Scroll down to below the description where it says "Questions and answers about this item", below that is a link to ask a question.

Not seen one with that top tube cable routing before. The frame catalog was an interesting read though.

My 501 Sirrocco had sloping crown forks and frame adjuster plus the little chain knobble.

Compared it to my 84 frame and theres no comparison - different stays and so on. Same with a cheapy Record Sprint, nowt similar.

TimColnago":qkyv3g5m said:
If you look at the drop outs there is a chain peg (Used so you can attach the chain to the peg and make taking your wheel out easier)
Well I never even noticed that before, I never knew what it was and I just looked on my bike and it has one!

Ok, I just checked my early 90's Raleigh Strada which was a low-end 531. Fork is identical looking, though I don't think mine is 531. It also has the same lugs, identical drop-outs, the same chain peg, same cable routing on the top tube and the same brazed-on bosses. Mine has a different headset bearing but it is also a chrome one, and the frame otherwise looks identical to my eyes. We know Raleigh made most of their bikes almost exactly the same with only minor changes year-on-year when you look at the models in the same price range. I guess the only way to really know would be to find out what size the seatpost is. 27mm or more and it's 531, less than 27mm but more than 26mm and it's 501, 25.4mm and it's gas pipe.

I think it's a 90's frame and I think it's been repainted at some point. Running gear would have been Shimano Exage or Shimano 300 (BioPace was an option) and Shimano aero levers.

Back