Loads of NOS steel frames on offer!

some nice frames to be had, not so sure on some of the paint schemes though!

given the price of the frames it makes you wonder how the following can be justified http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/STC ... p_girl_nos

i've got 3 of these on various Cinelli integralter / angel bar systems and I didn't pay £100 for ALL three bars / alter girls. Crazy to pay £100 for a bit of self adhesive plastic & 2 pieces of sponge!

Some nice kit there. Although you know you're getting old when "vintage" road frames come rigged out with Ergopower gear cable adjusters on the head tube as standard....

David

I'm treading carefully beacause I don't really want to diss this retailer, as I'm not fully au fait with their retro dealings, but as I actually went there, this is what I found

1. The cinelli frames are unstickered - why? I don't really recall them like that BITD. Is there something there that isn't legit, so there's no specified name? Big question, i'm suggesting nothing

2. Who are SAB? Not a name I remember to render them old stock, and they sell modern carbon frames too. But then, maybe they were a small manufacturer BITD who didn't get worldwide status.

3. Some of the steel frames were a bit too modern for my liking. So there were head lugs and then lugless set clusters with shot in stays on the same frame.

It all seemed a bit pastiche trying to tap into the retro hipsters market. It reminded me of the modern VW "aircooled" camper van. From a distance looks retro. close up its not the real deal I'd be buying. But like DavidB hinted at, once you get to 90's, its no longer retro to me, but would be to someone younger.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that they didn't look to be NOS - more like modern with a retro look.

Googling suggests that SAB was a family-run firm in San Marino that went bust and the Planet X/On-One guys bought the bankrupt stock of framesets, and indeed the SAB brand name. Given that San Marino isn't a huge place, dunno how much manufacturing SAB did in-house and how much was outsourced.

David

Most of them are too new for my taste; unicrown forks just look awful, I don't like oversize tubing either, nor tig welding.

That supposed Cinelli's got a tiny "C" logo on the head lug, is that a Concorde or Ciocc logo? Where's the Cinelli seat cluster?

mmm , that's not a Cinelli super corsa , all SC have a seat cluster like mine ;

100_0135.jpg

It's one of the details that defines a SC .

That frame does have a Cinelli B/BKT shell and head lugs , but as Cinelli sell these to frame builders , it certainly does not make the frame a Cinelli .
Would have Cinelli graphics under the lacquer as well .

vivelesalpes":3b6t2fxy said:
I don't know why but those Cinelli's don't look right with the Italian flag on the tubing: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRC ... 535cm_grey).

IMHO they look more Concorde / Ciocc ?? Any thoughts.

There's currently a Concorde 'Prelude' bike pictured in the How Much? section that shares some close similarity to the
'Cinelli SC's' on special offer: rear dropouts / seat lug and stay area / internal routing and those 'Italian flag' braze-ons. Pics here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46710&start=750#p1835801.

Back