Dawes Galaxy tourer BB removal and brake lever ferrules

mrcpea

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,
Hope this is the right place to post this.
I just won a Dawes Galaxy (Reynolds 531)off eBay. It seems like a good investment & worthy of restoring. Plan is to strip the frame & re paint, then rebuild.
The stem & seatpost move OK (I took the stem out,It has a round wedge type of thing that pulls into the frame when the allen bolt is done up.)
Before I take the frame to bits, what tools will I need to remove the Bottom Bracket? & will a shimano cartridge BB fit as long a s the length is right. I'm assuming the width is 68mm, but I'll check later.
Sorry about the rubbish photo, as it was the one on eBay... I'll take some more later & post them

Many thanks & looking forward to your replies :D

Attachments

• dawes.JPG
    dawes.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 706
Re: Dawes Galaxy tourer BB removal

You will need a bottom bracket removal tool. It might be like this one:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... om+Bracket
However, I suspect that your is even older and you will need C-spanners and a pin spanner. Probably it's simplest to get your local bike shop to remove it; you will need them to chase the threads for the replacement after painting to remove any overspray and blasting residue. Get them to fit a cartridge BB while they are at it.

hamster":2u8mw94w said:
You will need a bottom bracket removal tool. It might be like this one:
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... om+Bracket
However, I suspect that your is even older and you will need C-spanners and a pin spanner. Probably it's simplest to get your local bike shop to remove it; you will need them to chase the threads for the replacement after painting to remove any overspray and blasting residue. Get them to fit a cartridge BB while they are at it.

Many thanks

Many thanks for your reply. :D
Here are the pictures I took of the bottom bracket. Both sides are here. I looked around on the internet & found out that the threads are pretty standard.
Any Idea what tool fits the non drive (lock-ring centre) side?

Also, you'll see from the handlebar photo that the ferrules that house the cables that come out of the top of the brake levers are different. I assume that one was broken at some stage & replaced, but it's pretty ropey. Is there easily available replacements? Or would I be better of investing in a pair of the side exit levers that I've seen. I assume with these you run the cable inside of the bar tape.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on road bike & appreciate your help

Attachments

• Drive Side.JPG
    Drive Side.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 634
  • Other side.JPG
    Other side.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 635
  • Bar, brake levers & ferrules.JPG
    Bar, brake levers & ferrules.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 635
Paul Chambers fan?

I would normally recommend a set of headset/bb spanners as in my avatar, but they are not designed to work with an adjustable cup like this... will do the fixed (drive-side) cup though. I don't know what are the specific tools for this sort of adjustable cup... I've removed one myself but can't remember exactly how! probably by knocking the lockring loose with an old screwdriver, and then unscrewing the cup by hand... may have clamped the exposed threads in a vice with soft jaws and turned the frame.. Luckily for me the cup wasn't tight/siezed.

Back