Removing anodising.

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

I have a crank that has a section which has been polished by lots of shoe rub.

The only way I can see of making it nice is to polish it up bling style.

I don't want to use too much wet n dry which will remove engravings.

Did I see some suggestions about oven cleaner?

What are the details and techniques?

This is the only stuff I have used that works. When you put the part in it it will fizz slightly then turn white. Dont leave it much longer as it will turn black. A couple of minutes is enough. Works really well though.

Attachments

• OvenPride.png
    OvenPride.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 369
So what do you do once you have removed it from the cleaner?

What strength do you mix it up to?

Just use neat from bottle. Its really thick. (you can pour it back in when finished.) wash the part thoroughly with lots of water. If you have light scratching you can use something like 1200 wet and dry to remove scratches. Then finish with autosol and a soft cloth. Sit back and marvel at your nice and shiny looking part! (sounds a bit like a line from a carry on movie)

Caustic soda will remove anodising, but you must do the work outside and wear some gloves and glasses.

The alloy may go black in places as the anodising comes off, but it will polish off easily.

kettlo":2rw7iazn said:
Just use neat from bottle. Its really thick. (you can pour it back in when finished.) wash the part thoroughly with lots of water. If you have light scratching you can use something like 1200 wet and dry to remove scratches. Then finish with autosol and a soft cloth. Sit back and marvel at your nice and shiny looking part! (sounds a bit like a line from a carry on movie)

So tip the bottle contents in a bucket, the drop your part in for 2 minutes, the rinse and polish with autosol?

Back