Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:45 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:03 pm 
Old School Hero

thanks guys.....yup, i agree. Having looked at quite a few flyers on the net, i think its too close not to be. Looking forward to taking it for a test ride........Then think about restoration, re-spray and decals ect.

have tried to date the frame using this site bit no luck: http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/dating.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:15 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Think they started using those lugs in the mid 50's, looks like the Flyer with close clearances which was sometime after.

Not ridden Old Neds Flyer but rode a lot of Carltons in the 70's including an all chrome flyer track built for my boss at the bike shop were I worked.

Carltons always had a nice ride, even the cheap ones. Tight enough angles and shortish rake forks make them feel nimble but easy to ride hands off and OK on long rides.

Think Carlton....... think Chrome, Flam and panels :D

Shaun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Looks to me a bit special. No brakes, heavy seat tube, and Campagnolo ends were about 1958 on.
Crimped chainstay, was this done by the builder? Interesting to look up the tubes from the bottom bracket, are they pinned? And odd frame number, so is looking less like a Carlton.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 pm 
Old School Hero

I would love it to be all chrome under the paint..... I saw one a few months back. very nice......

I think it is maybe 70's (73 14)?

This flyer is from 1956. It has the same stylings as mine, but with relaxed angles and larger clearances.

What is Flam and panels shaun?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm 
Old School Hero

keithglos wrote:
Looks to me a bit special. No brakes, heavy seat tube, and Campagnolo ends were about 1958 on.
Crimped chainstay, was this done by the builder? Interesting to look up the tubes from the bottom bracket, are they pinned? And odd frame number, so is looking less like a Carlton.

this is an interesting view point..... the frame number is the thing thats throwing me.....

will try and look down the tubes if i can.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Your example from 1956 is typical of the time, high bottom bracket, mudguard eyes, clubman bike for time trialling, track and grass track, riding to work in the winter.
A major purchase then, and had to do it all.
Yours is a purpose built hard track bike, possibly ridden on Australian roads. Riding with no brakes here in 1958 could be treated a bit seriously, although I did occasionally in the late 1940's.
Does the crimped chainstay look like Reynolds work, or hand done.
And rear width must be 120mm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:40 pm 
Old School Hero

This is a picture of the chain stay, i would guess that it was hand done? maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Don't forget the Alec Bird frame with Capella lugs that was on here recently. Perhaps it is from a small builder who used a set of Capella lugs bought through the trade?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 am 
Retro Guru

My general feeling on the crimped chainstay is "post production". I can't see Reynolds making it like that.
When the job was to put various parts together to work effectively I often had to do minor modifications and regretfully some like this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 am 
Old School Hero

just had a look at the Alec Bird thread. such a nice frame!

Due to the frame number i am am leaning in the direction of a small builder using Carlton old stock. What would type of lugs used on my frame be called? Anyone know of any other frames that have used them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next