Very Faded Decal Dilema

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I'm normally with the 'its only original once' brigade and I like to keep things original where possible. But, I can't make up my mind about the name decal on this 1955 F. R. Russell. The frame has had a good clean since this photo and the paint is in good condition for its age, a few chips and scratches have now been touched up. The name itself was once red and although the outline is clear the red is very faded, the other side is even worse.
Do I leave it, or touch up?

Attachments

• P1000304.JPG
    P1000304.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 281
Hi, I would leave them to start with, making sure I had high definition pictures of the scripting. Its a bit of a old cliche, but once its gone its gone. When I started collecting/restoring I was too eager to restore, and looking back, once or twice I wish I hadn't, but that's experience. No real guidance I'm afraid, but if the parts aren't sparkling new, aged parts will make it look the part, and the overall effect should be great. If you not happy after that then restore it, nothing lost, you can still use the parts. Terry

would leave them to start with, making sure I had high definition pictures of the scripting.
+1.... That softly spoken name on the tube reminds me of another old cliche: "speak softly and carry a big stick". This above advice is the bicycle-renovation version of the same sentiment.. Let it fade, but have a replacement at hand for when it's gone.

Thanks guys, some good advice as always :)

I should have explained in the original post I've already discovered the forks had been repainted in red at some point, along with red paint on the Major Taylor stem over some very worn chrome. I've already decided to get the forks repainted in black and have the stem re-chrome plated. Returning it back to how it should be :)

I guess that triggered the question about the decals, as some parts are going to look new, should something be done about the decals.

I think I'll leave them for now until I get it reassembled and then post some more pics of how its looking. One good thing is that the decal is quite thick and I've been able to get a brass rubbing type copy onto paper :)

Latest posts

Back