Vintage Raleigh racer marked 1978-Help identifying

paulpaul

Retro Newbie
Evening;

I wonder if any kind folks here might be able to help me identify an old Raleigh 'racer' that I have had lying for years.

I spent a couple days trawling google, and found many resources, but simply cannot find a bike that I could definatively say 'thats it'!

I'm wanting to know whether or not to throw it in the scrap pile, or restore it to go with a couple vintage Marins I have. I don't have any road bikes other than this.

Brakes are weinmann 730 at the front, 810 at the rear, with dia-comp/weinmann levers; front mech and rear are Raleigh branded, stem is marked TI- Sturmey-Archer, as are the hubs.

Any enlightenment is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• raleighbikecrop.JPG
    raleighbikecrop.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 387
  • raleighbikecrop2.JPG
    raleighbikecrop2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 387
  • raleighbikecrop3.JPG
    raleighbikecrop3.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 387
The clearances are quite wide, so it doesn't strike me as a Ti model. I'd say it's a run-of-the-mill Raleigh and the sticker is merely boasting that they won in 1978. It is a late 70's model and the giveaway signs are the shape of the forks (bend near the bottom), the lamp boss on the fork, the lugs, band-on shifters (which were gone by the mid 80's) and the non-aero brakes. Additionally, it looks like it's got cottered cranks. I can't tell from the pics, but it should have 27x1-1/4" wheels if it's that age - this might be why the gaps are quite wide if it's wearing more modern smaller 700c wheels.

So it's nothing special and probably quite heavy, but Raleighs of that age ride really nicely. I wouldn't spend much money on it, but it's got to be worth a set of tires and brake blocks if needed, a nip up where needed and a damn good grease. Perfect workhorse bike in my opinion.

Don't chuck it on the tip - someone on here local to you will love it.

Looks for all the world like a 70's Raleigh Arena with the main decals missing.......... I'll have a google later.

Shaun

i agree, it looks alot like the Raleigh Arena i had as a kid (which was a late 70's or early 80's bike).

it was no lightweight and had basic componentry, but it gave us donkeys years of trouble-free service.

Thank you for those replies, I do believe that it is, indeed an Arena. The crankset is the only thing different from the pictures I found on t'internet, but I guess the previous owner could have replaced that. The pedals have no reflectors and there is a stamp of a little chap whom looks like a knight on the crank!

It does weigh a ton, (well compared to my Marin Team Issue) but it is quite a nice shape I think-I might give it a clean and screw it on the wall, looks nicer than a painting!!

My friend at the farm at the top of the hill here is a scrappie, and has a pile of bikes about 20 feet high, so I'll away up there and see if I can get some bits for it...

Thanks again for your input folks

My brother had one of those, I agree with everyone else that it is a Raleigh Arena. I had a Sun Solo at the same time (24 inch wheels, 5 speed IIRC), they both came from Yeovil Cycle Centre when it was on Great Western Terrace! They don't do nostalgia like they used to.

Back