Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:13 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:23 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 621
Location: Melton Mowbray
Any ideas on the make of this bike??

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

any ideas would be much appreciated

thanks
Neil


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Shrewsbury
I know its having some strange Ebay activity, listing ended early then re-listed? I'm not convinced about it being a Holdsworth, the headtube lugs look wrong, but it has the signs of a quality frame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Robbied196 wrote:
I know its having some strange Ebay activity, listing ended early then re-listed? I'm not convinced about it being a Holdsworth, the headtube lugs look wrong, but it has the signs of a quality frame.


Look like long point Prugnat lugs - Holdsworth certainly used those.

Is there any evidence of a headbadge - i.e holes?

Roadking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Shrewsbury
roadking wrote:
Robbied196 wrote:
I know its having some strange Ebay activity, listing ended early then re-listed? I'm not convinced about it being a Holdsworth, the headtube lugs look wrong, but it has the signs of a quality frame.


Look like long point Prugnat lugs - Holdsworth certainly used those.

Is there any evidence of a headbadge - i.e holes?

Roadking.


The listing speculates it could be a circa 1967 Holdsworth Super Mistral with a possible frame number of 4027. Some small details don't seem to look right :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111015443925? ... 1423.l2649


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Robbied196 wrote:
roadking wrote:
Robbied196 wrote:
I know its having some strange Ebay activity, listing ended early then re-listed? I'm not convinced about it being a Holdsworth, the headtube lugs look wrong, but it has the signs of a quality frame.


Look like long point Prugnat lugs - Holdsworth certainly used those.

Is there any evidence of a headbadge - i.e holes?

Roadking.


The listing speculates it could be a circa 1967 Holdsworth Super Mistral with a possible frame number of 4027. Some small details don't seem to look right :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111015443925? ... 1423.l2649



What details exactly?

Roadking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Shrewsbury
roadking wrote:
What details exactly?

Roadking.


If you look at the 1967 Super Mistral and all the Mistral's and Super Mistral's through to 77 the headtube lugs are wrong. They should sweep round to points on both sides of the tube as can be seen in the catalogue below. Also it should have diamond reinforcements on the rear brake bridge. The forks although they have the sloping crown lack the sweeping blade curve. The frame number would be 5 digits. (edit) I've just noticed, you'll be able to check these details on your 67 Mistral :)

I'd say there are to many fundamental differences for it to be a Mistral or Super Mistral

Attachment:
Mistral_Fr71.jpg
Mistral_Fr71.jpg [ 85.85 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:24 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Glad to see your edit, I have checked and I believe the auction bike to be a Holdsworth - the colour is certainly a Holdsworth one.

Bear in mind Holdsworths did not always conform to catalogue specification, my own Mistral (in the family from new) does not entirely conform to catalogue and neither does my Classic.

Having had a close friend on the famiy work there (visited myself) I can confirm that if you were prepared to wait Holdsworth would build features on a catalgue bike that woud give it that"bespoke"element - I suggest this bike may be one of those.

The fundamental difference between the Mistral and Super Mistral is the fork crown, Mistrals are basically Pros with mudguard eyes - why I cannot understand why Pro's are so sought after and Mistrals the opposite!

Roadking.

P.S my Mistral has the same lugs - Prugnat long point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:48 pm
Posts: 455
Location: N. Herts
Hi, just a few thoughts - the frame does have a number of questions as far as it being a standard holdsworth, the rear brake bridge is not a feature I've seen on a holdsworth, it has been custom built for bar end shifters, and I believe the Holdsworth shop didn't like putting brazon's on the frames around this period ( just something I read somewhere ). But on the other hand the wrapover stay looks pure holdsworth and if the serial number had another digit it, as stated earlier, it would place it as an early seventies mistral ( 40XXX ). Confirmation may be found on the steerer tube, as Holdsworth frame and fork serial numbers should match, and if it does have 5 digits and the first four match, it maybe a custom made holdsworth mistral. Just some thoughts. Terry


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Spokesmann and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group