Colnago Owners..

Deax

Devout Dirtbag
Just spotted the `Colnago' Gran Sport that was for sale in the complete bikes section.

It caught my eye as:

1) It's was apparently a Colnago
2) It's the same colour scheme as mine with the 70's graphics set
3) 3 brake cable guides on the top tube - like mine.

Clearly the bike for sale was not a Colnago, but mine definitely is. When I bought the bike I wondered long and hard about the 3 cable guides - I had not seen a Colnago with 3 before.

Since then, I've been inspecting all Colnagos carefully - both in the flesh and in pictures. There are other examples out there but I wonder if any one else has one?

Someone on the Classic Rendezvous forum described 3 as `anomalous' - which is certainly the case. Mine is (by the Classic Rendezvous Colnago dating timeline) mid 80's, but has mid 70s decals and late 80s Columbus stickers, so it's always felt a bit `suspect'.

I think it's well known that Colnagos were (like other Northern Italian frame builders) sometimes contracted out to local frame builders - I was wondering whether 3 brake cables guides came about as a result of a sub contractor getting a little confused as to which brand he was building?

Attachments

• DSC_0175 small.jpg
    DSC_0175 small.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 320
I believe until 76/77 , top tube cable guides were an option ( clips normally fitted ), so one could specify 2 or 3.
it's easy to put a fresh decal on if the original was tatty, but not a cause for concern imho.

Back