Old LOOK pedals, Refreshed and alive!

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I've got some well I should say 'did' have some battered LOOK pedals and pondered what to do with them,
The bearing are still super smooth and still function as they should, I first thought... 'put them on my winter bike'

But then pondering away[forum member TGR quote by the way 'pondering'] shall I strip the old
paint off and file off all the scratch's and make them good again and this is what I did!!

Worst thing is i've no pictures of what the pedals looked like which would help this thread :roll:

I spotted some high quality paint in a supermarket and of all places it was ALDI and it came in blue
which looked too much like Gios blue and that got me pondering even more, work pedals for my Gios!
The paint isn't car paint but like an enamel paint which dries hard but doesn't chip or mark easily.

Contacted a decal maker and he then made me some 'one off' decals for the soon to be 'fake' Gios pedals :D

gios003_zps20ce7d6a.jpg

gios004_zps4be7845e.jpg

Pedals repainted in the nice blue colour!

gios001_zpsc4f1b9cf.jpg

Decals made, The gold decals are for another project.

pedals003_zps56e95a31.jpg

pedals002_zps1ffa6a95.jpg

pedals001_zpsc551278d.jpg

pedals004_zps8cd68a02.jpg

I'm happy with the outcome! What you guys think ?

Ian.

I think they look great!

Did you take them apart completely before painting, or just carefully mask off all non-painted areas?

foz":1xbvjsxn said:
Did you take them apart completely before painting, or just carefully mask off all non-painted areas?
Hi foz,
Was going to knock the pin through on the back of the pedals but they
would not even budge despite some really heavy hammering, so decided
to carefully mask them up with Tamiya 6mm modelling masking tape,

The white decals now have a layer of clear enamel on them to resist further knocks.

Ian,

Get them on the bike!!! I shall ponder a little longer until i see them on the bike, but they look superb so far.

Richard

Nicely done! You do see some butchered LOOK pedals for sale out and about, good to see they're not scrap assuming you have the time and skill to bring them back to life. Makes my PP76 carbon set look decidedly second hand, do you do commissions???

Martin

Ian

Good job,is the paint just air dried or have you had them in the oven ;)

I was trying to get my good lady to let me use our oven to harded some enamel of the other day :shock:

Her reply in not for repeating on here.

paul

Did you use any primer or did you just spray the enamel straight onto the metal? Also, what sort of clear lacquer did you use, presumably another rattle can job?

The reason I am asking is because I am about to respray an old frame and thought that this may give a better, more durable finish than cellulose car paint.

Thanks

Penfold6290":3uaiwqs4 said:
do you do commissions???Martin
Not really Martin, but its not that hard to do a neat job! You just don't rush it.

bagpuss":3uaiwqs4 said:
is the paint just air dried or have you had them in the oven ;)
I was trying to get my good lady to let me use our oven to harded some enamel of the other day :shock:
Her reply in not for repeating on here.paul
I did end up in the bad books! as I turned the household heating up full! Turned the thermo' switch to full temp' and then turned all other rad's off in the house!
The sole kitchen rad' was so hot for a purpose? The pedals were to sat inside a foil covered box on the rad' and by christ did the paint stink, must have baked
the pedals on and off for five hours then the wife came in the house shouting ''What the hell is that smell & are you mad'' she jumped when she touched the rad'.

Theoldfm":3uaiwqs4 said:
Did you use any primer or did you just spray the enamel straight onto the metal? Also, what sort of clear lacquer did you use, presumably another rattle can job?
The reason I am asking is because I am about to respray an old frame and thought that this may give a better, more durable finish than cellulose car paint.Thanks
On the can it says no primer is required just as long as the surface is clean/dust free/rust free
so I just ensured there was no corrosion and the surface with even and 'keyed'! the finish of the
paint is fantastic and the best i've used out of a rattle can and is defo' Enamel as it took some
10 hours to fully cure and the smell of heated Enamel is unforgeable to the nose.

After I sprayed the pedals and applied the decals I gave the pedals another coating of some
clear Enamel which I have from my own stock of Enamel paints.

The ALDI paint is called 'Scratch Resistant Deco Style Colour Spray paint'
It cost me £3.99 for a 400ml can and comes in Black-White-Yellow-Blue-Red-Green colours.

I reckon this type of paint will do a good quality job at re-spraying a frame but remember
to have some sort of jig to hold the frame before you start to do any such spraying.

I don't think they are LOOKs actually , a few other companies made copies of Deltas and now the Keo style pedals

Attachments

• IMG_5614.jpg
    IMG_5614.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_8499.jpg
    IMG_8499.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 672
latman":n6ftpw5z said:
I don't think they are LOOKs actually , a few other companies made copies of Deltas and now the Keo style pedals
Well actually they are not Gios pedals so really this thread is not about LOOK
pedals but a re-paint of some very tired pedals which needed a new lease of life.

The black plastic part of the pedal had the name printed with LOOK so as far as
I'm concerned they are LOOKS! Fake or not these now look shit hot :cool:

Ian.

Back