Tubs or clinchers?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I am in the very early planning stages of my third and final retro steel road bike.

I already have a nice light 653 frame and am starting to look at possible components, but the big question is about wheels, as I want them light.

I'm not talking £2000 wheel sets here, I'm not that flush (or dedicated). But looking at decent wheels; tubs are always lighter, where as clinchers are heavier, usually a bit more expensive, but a lot more convenient when it comes to punctures or tyre changing.

So, is it tubs or clinchers?

if you've already got other road bikes and wheels, then I say go tubs :)

I really like the ride of my caygill 653 with tubs (schwalbe milanos on mavic mach 2 CD 2 rims). They're not the lightest wheels out there, indeed it would probably be easy enough to find a set of clincher rims, tubs, tubes and rimtape that weigh less than my tubs, but the ride is very nice, and let's face it - a if you're not racing on it, what's a few grams here or there? Ride quality is what counts for me, more than overall weight.

foz":2qb1y3k5 said:
if you're not racing on it, what's a few grams here or there? Ride quality is what counts for me, more than overall weight.

That's true, but if with a bit of careful component selection, I can have both, then heads I win and tales I win.

I had a similar dilemma. In the end I was curious about tubs so went with them. I only got cheap tyres in case I didn't like them. Even so I've been impressed. Ride quality is good although I think I have a high spot on the rear. I have hit stuff that hard that I know if they had been clinchers, they would have pinch flatted.

Give them a try says me!

After numpteen years on mtb's, I find all road tyres pretty hard.

How do you feel the difference in the quality of ride between tubs and clinchers? I thought they all ran at pretty much the same sorts of pressures.

I have clinchers on all of my training bikes and tubulars on all of my show bikes. For me I just don't want to change a tub on the side of the road and, since I do a fair amount of miles, it seems like just a matter of time. That said I absolutely believe that tubulars ride nicer than clinchers if for no other reason the you can ride a lower tire pressure.

Steven,

Tubs on the dusty trail??????? I would like to see that!!!! LOL

Richard

Hey Richard I guess I could have tubulars on a cyclocross bike! Now you have planted the seed and aI want a MTB with tubulars.

Back