Raleigh seat clamp

zhang

Old School Hero
Hey everyone,

I've got a old raleigh frame which I'm currently using as a singlespeed commuter. The old seatpost bolt stripped so I cut it out, however the LBS didn't have a suitable replacement bolt so I just decided to use a standard allen bolt/nut with some washers either side, however it doesn't seem to keep the seatpost tight enough. Anyone got any solutions? The bike isn't anything special so I just want a solution that works effectively in stopping the seatpost from slipping down.

Is there any way to use a modern style clamp like this:

ST0911.jpg

I think the issue is that the eyelets which the bolt goes through are coming apart from the frame. It's a cheap gas pipe frame - anybody know of any cheap DIY solutions to get the seatpost secure?
raleighfixed.jpg

This is a cheap fix. Materials freely available from any UK roadside verge, recreation ground /park, outside any off-licence
A shim - namely a <strip of alloy cut from a drinks can>
Should sort it out!

I'm not sure there is enough clearance between the seatpost and the sides of the seatpost to get an piece of aluminium can in there - I assume this is what you mean?

zhang":38donqpj said:
I'm not sure there is enough clearance between the seatpost and the sides of the seatpost to get an piece of aluminium can in there - I assume this is what you mean?

Your seat collar lugs look like they are too closed together, using a suitable lever prise apart so the internal faces are roughly parallel. Then try the shim. All the shim needs is to be almost the circumference of the post and maybe 3-4cm deep. Make sure it protrudes from the seat-tube slightly before fitting the post, trim the shim / cut out a bigger shim if necessary. Good luck!

Back