Rear wheel fouling brake body

andybike

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hiya~ Had new rims built onto Hope hubs.The old ones were tubulars the replacements are for clinchers.They ran close to the brake body.Now the tyre just touches.Some sites suggest shims in the vertical dropouts,this would give me the clearance needed.Is there anything available? L.B.S said there used to be but cannot help.Or is it a D.I.Y option.

P.S Bit of a Numpty in the engineering department so prefer non technical options :D Thanks

andybike":2crot9jm said:
Hiya~ Had new rims built onto Hope hubs.The old ones were tubulars the replacements are for clinchers.They ran close to the brake body.Now the tyre just touches.Some sites suggest shims in the vertical dropouts,this would give me the clearance needed.Is there anything available? L.B.S said there used to be but cannot help.Or is it a D.I.Y option.

P.S Bit of a Numpty in the engineering department so prefer non technical options :D Thanks

Morning andybike
Have you fitted a different <brand> of rim to your bike? There are definitely size differences out there (700c Mavic Open Pro v the larger DT RR465 for example).
Best to start simple and look at your tyre sizing first. What make/size of tyres have you fitted? Some brands are def taller than others! IMO Vittoria tyres tend to come up smaller than stated (both width & height-wise).

Hiya~Thanks for reply.Tyres are Grand Prix 4000 and the rims are Mavic Open Pro's.Cannot remember the original tubular rims.Do remember they were a close fit to the brake body.Plenty of room on front wheel~just the rear is a problem.
Thanks Andy

andybike":2v0mot7n said:
Hiya~Thanks for reply.Tyres are Grand Prix 4000 and the rims are Mavic Open Pro's.Cannot remember the original tubular rims.Do remember they were a close fit to the brake body.Plenty of room on front wheel~just the rear is a problem.
Thanks Andy

Take it they are 23's? Can you measure the tyre height from rim-top to upper casing? Also if possible can you post a pic of the clearance problem?

Check the writing on the tyre: should say something like 700 x 23c - the 23 is the tyre size.

Try Panaracers, they are typically a bit under their nominal size. I bet your bike is a sporty / TT frame with really tight clearances (which was fashionable and folklore said it made a faster bike) so probably designed for 20c. There are 19c and 20c tyres around.

Hiya~ will try to take some pics tomm.Yes the tyres are 23's.The clearances are V tight.Never thought it would be a problem as our other bikes take 23's but will poss try 19/20c.
Thanks Andy

Back