Vitus 979 with full mavic ssc groupset

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
I'm trying this for size with the forum before I go ahead and build. How much for a Vitus 979 duralinox with the full mavic ssc groupset in very good condition on say GP4's with turbo saddle? That's pedals, front mech, rear mech, chainset( not the starfish one but like old super record), headset ,bottom bracket, simplex retro friction gear levers, Christophe clips, mavic stem(like the 1A not the split one), brakes with the white new anatomic modolo lever hoods. don't ask for pictures as I have only some of the parts at present and no frame or chainset. I'm not sure what it would be worth as a complete bike so any suggestions that allow us all to drift back into nostalgia would be gratefully appreciated
cheers Darren

Doubledee":1733yk6g said:
I'm trying this for size with the forum before I go ahead and build. How much for a Vitus 979 duralinox with the full mavic ssc groupset in very good condition on say GP4's with turbo saddle? That's pedals, front mech, rear mech, chainset( not the starfish one but like old super record), headset ,bottom bracket, simplex retro friction gear levers, Christophe clips, mavic stem(like the 1A not the split one), brakes with the white new anatomic modolo lever hoods. don't ask for pictures as I have only some of the parts at present and no frame or chainset. I'm not sure what it would be worth as a complete bike so any suggestions that allow us all to drift back into nostalgia would be gratefully appreciated
cheers Darren

it sounds like the classic amateur race bike of the 80s - luvvit - and superlight too!
i'm not quite sure what you're asking here? are you asking how much it would cost
to build or how much you could sell it for once it's built?

i would say that in individual bits it might cost you around £700 depending on how much
you're willing to spend on ebay to get that rare and shiny part.

i've been building an eddy merckx 7 eleven replica and i've stopped counting how much
it cost me so far!!

:shock:

cant seem to help myself at the moment! Im wondering how much the completed bike might sell for. I intend to keep it for a while but dont want to overdo it!

Probably typed in haste! I can't bring myself to sell anything but am trying not to spend too much this time. Mavic kit is hard to judge price wise and much more rare than campag.patience required methinks. Watch out for pics in a few weeks.

In the last 15 months i've picked up 851 R/M / 860 F/M / 631 Starfish / Mavic Bullhorns for approx £115 total. All in excellent condition. I still keep an eye out for other SSC stuff & I have noticed that the prices have gone a bit daft recently - £110 for a 631 in less than average condition for example. Also saw a pair of DT levers go for £50+ just after xmas.

I think patience is the key, people are selling Mavic at premium rates just now and there's enough people who are willing to pay the odds or in many instances over the odds. I've noticed the same with Sachs New Success, prices are way up.

Subject to the frame cost & wheel cost i'd be looking at 525 - 650 for the build. Would it fetch that much on sale? - depends on the market. There's a rather beautiful Alan in the "how much thread" and people have quite rightly (in my humble opinion) suggested 800 - 1000 as a minimum selling price. It's in mint condition with all the correct components so I use such bikes to benchmark what you can get for your money. If said Alan bike is 800 - 1000 then i've probably broken even or made a small loss on my builds, but I don't build to sell.

I think there's easier and more profitable ways to build bikes if your intending to sell, go Italian or Japanese as it's easier to get hold of but I understand your appeal towards Mavic.

Many thanks for that, I don't build to sell either, but guess I'm building bikes that were out of my reach when I was racing and didn't have much money still it bugs me how the usa have driven the prices up, im looking to friends and french ebay for kit mostly. Well done with those mavic bits, I always used to race on mavic 501's on gp4's but never looked at the ssc stuff, I love the look and function of it and the ideal find would be a 52 Ctc yellow 979 to fit the groupset onto with KAS stickers , might even go for 46/52 for the real classics gearing! I'll be patient for the frame certainly :D

"..and the ideal find would be a 52 Ctc yellow 979 to fit the groupset onto with KAS stickers"

NIIIIICE !!

vitus.jpg

vitus2.jpg

oh and you'll need a set of THESE for the completely authentic look...

SeanKellyLegs.jpg

here's a nice one that a "bargain" bike shop in america has for sale just now...not
quite cashconverters, is it?! >>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Vitus-9 ... 0657779143

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That is it the only colour really, Just my size, I think I remember that picture of the big mans legs in the comic years ago he ate his porridge! It will either be that colour or bare metal.

I've bagged a 979 frame 52cm c to top in silver and begged a mavic 305 headset and 616 BB from a trusted source! Might have to sort out the bearings on the headset though so might still be a standard one, quite budget constrained on this one.

Back