Steel in the peleton shocker

Jerome":ahq4loi5 said:
http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news/pro-bike-dean-downings-genesis-volare-953.html#slide-1
Last one was an MXL I believe ??
The future - somehow i doubt it in this world of disposable bikes.

Good to see that they've managed to get these machines on the road after all. Last I heard, due to design/weight issues the squad was going to have to resort to alloy-framed bikes as a stop-gap whilst the steel Volare was being refined a bit more.

David

Aahh..953 stainless steel.Having picked one of these up at Mercians a while ago.I can say it was very very light.It story comes as no suprise to me.

The design guys at Genesis have been working very closely with Reynolds to get the stiffness they need at a weight that's acceptable.

I don't know who makes the frames though, as I think Genesis production frames are made in Taiwan, along with most other 520, 725 and 853 (production) frames you see.

NeilM":1lx8kluq said:
The design guys at Genesis have been working very closely with Reynolds to get the stiffness they need at a weight that's acceptable.

It's fairly exotic stuff they're working with, too - as well as 953 (martensitic aging stainless) there's another new stainless tubeset called 931 which is precipitation-hardening steel. I used to work in a lab that analysed those kinds of alloys - quite demanding specs!

David

Back