When not to Powdercoat

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
Unfortunately, I stumbled across this on Ebay, I'm sure the seller has tried his best.

I'm not saying powdercoat doesn't have its place, although personally I hate the stuff, but there are places it shouldn't be......

Orange gloop on a Colnago is one of them :(

Attachments

• 2013-02-07_0853.jpg
    2013-02-07_0853.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 449
On the flip side I have seen some real nice modern powdercoating which must be pretty thin as it kept the lug outlines pretty crisp......

Shaun

I have a Bigfoot mtb which had been acid dipped, so the alloy was never going to shine again. I had it powder coated and it now gleams.

As far as that Colnago is concerned..erm, I like the colour!

I saw that listing too. Mixed about the price - £275 BIN or Offers.

Now it's been powdercoated though it may be a Colnago underneath has it less value than say a good Raleigh 531 frame ?

What put me off was the seller admitting they had done a bad job with the decals and mentions of dings in the tubing.

(Not that I can afford a new bike as I've just had to shell out £1k for a new clutch for my car :( )

thats like...this frame may be cover d in rust or it could be welded. It looks like some one dipped it in caramel chocolate . can any one tell me how long powder coating has been going for ?...were any original classic bikes finished with it ? what is the process to powder coat ?&what is the advantage in members bikes that peugeot silver PK10 ? powder coat looks fine .

I only powercoat when the bike is a commutor (like my wifes bike) or my MTB's which have to take some abuse and I am not precious about the paint on these. For my club run bike I had to have it stove enamelled as the finish is a bit better. Although the powerder coaters I used for my wifes bike did a pretty good job.

oonaff":vl2erl6l said:
thats like...this frame may be cover d in rust or it could be welded. It looks like some one dipped it in caramel chocolate . can any one tell me how long powder coating has been going for ?...were any original classic bikes finished with it ? what is the process to powder coat ?&what is the advantage in members bikes that peugeot silver PK10 ? powder coat looks fine .

Not a classic road bike in my instance, but commercial powder coats (as opposed to owners' repaints) on handbuilt machines aren't unknown. In the late 90s I owned a Bill Nickson 653 race frame bought new from said shop, and it had a metallic blue powder finish. I only found this out when it went off to Sirius for a respray - apparently it was an absolute pig to remove compared to ordinary paint.

David

I think it looks like something has gone wrong, like its sagged around the tube. Its very thin on top around the edge of the lug and the spade cut out, to almost bare metal. Then it thickens inside the spade, around the sides and almost fills the lower cut out in the lug. The frame has others issues anyway as has been pointed out, but I hate to see powdercoat like this.

Good gloss though :LOL:

Back