Bike Camera Mounts

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
OK this is kinda a genuine health/safety thing...I got a bike cam and couldn't believe how cumbersome and well, dangerous, the bar mount design is:
I actually fitted the bullet cam to a simple rubber torch mount which is bendy and flush with the bars.
The actual supplied unit is fill of chest cavity piercing metals thread and protrusions, made of cheap plastic and sits a good 6 inches above the bars...just silly stupid... :shock:

There should be controls on this stuff surely? ( minor rant )

The camera mount is in the foreground with a torch perched on top ( there's yet another piece that covers the cam with two more long metal screws which I hadn't fitted ) the neat torch mount in the background is holding the cam.

Attachments

• cam holder1.jpg
    cam holder1.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 468
Have to agree, that is extremely awkward looking and not at all safe - any sort of crash / impact and that could be cause serious damage. The mount actually looks like it's straight of a camera tripod and adapted (slightly) for use on a bicycle.

Only suggestion would be to install 'upside down' so it sits underneath the bars.

FINNEY1973":1rg57yev said:
Have to agree, that is extremely awkward looking and not at all safe - any sort of crash / impact and that could be cause serious damage. The mount actually looks like it's straight of a camera tripod and adapted (slightly) for use on a bicycle.

Only suggestion would be to install 'upside down' so it sits underneath the bars.

Funnily enough I thought that, but then the camera button ( on top ) may be under the clamp and if reversed then the footage would be upside down!
I'm going with the torch mount for now but I'd like the product to be flagged as unsafe somehow...

That mount surely isn't for use on a bike - the more I look the more it's a tripod mount, absolutely crazy and have to agree it needs highlighting. Either contact the retailer / distributor or failing a satisfactory response then good old citizens advice would point you in the right direction.

And yes, see what you mean, upside down footage - not much use unless you've got an Australian TV to watch it on.

Couldn't you flip it so that the clamps were on the front? Ugly, but at least it would be out of the way.

A pal of mine put a hole in his scrotum :shock: crashing one of those 80's bikes with the gear levers on the stem. Your fears are reasonable...

ooouuuch, does he sing soprano now?? :B

I mailed the company and they are sending me a 'soft' mount which I guess is like a pencil torch mount, this is what I'm using now.
I don't think in all honesty they ( the mounts ) are suitable for bike use...
hope the movies prove reasonable quality...

Back